5/1/08

Sorry

Laura bites her lower lip, trying to suppress the grin that tries to slip out. She leans her head on the open door, just looking at Nate and watching his eyes to ensure they match his words.

“Well…I wouldn’t want the neighbors to call the cops on a strange guy camping out on my porch, so…I suppose in order to avoid any misunderstandings, I should let you have your way.”

She pauses just a moment, but doesn’t invite him in. “Let me at least get some shoes and socks on.” She disappears for a few moments, leaving the door ajar. Returning, she hasn’t bothered to change clothes, still comfy and casual, having only thrown on socks and sneakers, and grabbed her purse.

“So are you ready or what?” she asks in a sarcastically exasperated tone. “Quit lollygagging.”


Wyatt answers his phone as Misty calls, and furrows his brow. “Oh, well, that’s alright. Thanks for trying. We’ll just go on with out him. No problem. See you tomorrow.”


Laura yawns as she makes her way to her desk the next morning. She’d had a good time last night, she had to admit. Supper had been fun, and so had the movie. It had gotten her to bed late though, and she was paying for it this morning…but it was worth it.


“Hey.”

Wyatt looks up from his desk, raising his eyebrows at Carson. For once, he wasn’t late. But wasn’t that the same shirt he’d worn the day before? Ignoring his silly random thoughts, he nods. “Yeah, morning. I take it you got my messages last night.”

“Sorry about that.” Carson leans on the doorframe. “Cell phone’s ringer got turned off and I didn’t know it had slipped down in my truck seat – took me an hour to find it after I finally realized it was gone. I had a bunch of running around to do, and by the time I got back to my apartment it was too late to call anyone.”

Wyatt shrugs. “Eh, well, we got it worked out alright I guess.”

“Alright. Catch you later.” Carson ambles back down the hall, aiming for his cubicle, not stopping to see anyone else.

No comments: