4/6/08

I don't know

Carson’s thoughts come to a screeching halt as Misty approaches, laying a hand on his. He obeys her, stopping his fidgeting, and looks up at her with a baffled expression.

What Misty says is so simple…the words unadorned and clear. Yet they hold the impact of a bullet, cutting straight through to Carson’s heart. Her honesty was perplexing…her attitude toward him unwavering in an uncommon way.

He tries to block the feelings that Misty evokes, but the more she says, the harder it gets. Her comforting squeeze to his hand pushes him over the edge.

Carson withdraws his hand and turns his head away from Misty to hide his face as his eyes fill with tears he hasn’t felt since he was a kid. He’d hit rock bottom, and it didn’t feel good. Misty’s kindness, for some reason, turned everything upside down to confuse him even more, and he fights not to let those tears overflow. “Dang it, Misty.”


Jason sits down across from Nate and gives a short sorry laugh. “Yeah…I know…I was thinking this whole thing was ridiculous, then I saw Carson and wow…I can’t help but feel sorry for him. I know he’s a bad dude…but I guess if he went this far he’s got to have some remorse somewhere…”

He shakes his head. “I honestly don’t know what to do. We’ve got to find out if he talked to the Agency. If we can’t get that much out of him, then Reese has to make a judgment call on security. I know Carson’s in bad shape, but…we’re talking life and death here, and though he needs rest, we’ve got to get him to say something.”

Jason taps his finger on the table. “Yeah…I guess you’re right about the second chance thing…I mean…I guess I still don’t like him, especially after finding out he was the one to bash my knee in…but I don’t know… I can’t help but agree with you.” He pauses in thought. “As for now...” He shrugs. “I think it might be a good idea to talk to Reese about Misty…I know he doesn’t want those two together, but you’re right – she does something to Carson. If anyone could drag the truth from him, I think it would be her. I know you and I both don’t trust him enough to be around him…but he hasn’t hurt her yet.”

No comments: