3/26/08

Side Trip

Jason can feel Katie wrap her arms around him, and though knowing she’s simply hanging on to stay on the bike, he can’t help his enjoyment. As she leans her head on his shoulder, he almost wishes he could turn around, but both hands remain on the handle bars.

As they’re headed downtown, Jason catches sight of the sunset. It’s breathtaking even to him, but it’s quickly covered by the buildings in town. Throwing all sense into the wind for once, Jason hangs a right instead of going to Mom and Pop’s. Shifting gears, the bike jumps forward as he accelerates down the side street that winds out of town. “Hang on,” he calls over his shoulder, simply allowing there to be question of where they were going.

The sunset becomes more brilliant with each passing minute as it nears the horizon. Jason takes them out onto a country road with a perfect view of the gorgeous sight. Instead of stopping though, he heads clear out of town, finding several more side roads until they’re approaching the lake.

Slowing down, he’s careful to find the best route down close to the shore where there is enough solid ground for the bike. He parks perpendicular to the water’s edge for a perfect view out across the lake to the display of light.

Cutting the engine, he takes off his helmet and runs a hand through his hair. He puts the kickstand down and shifts his weight, swinging his leg around so he’s almost sitting sideways on the bike for a better view. Knowing he need not explain why he skipped the restaurant, he just stares at the sunset for several minutes.

He finally turns with a slight grin to Katie and reaches over to take off her helmet, setting it to the side. “Pretty, isn’t it.”



Yet again, Carson is surprised. What was with these people? He’d tortured one of their own, yet they were showing him mercy. Jason hadn’t killed him. Rick had bandaged him up and fed him. Nate was here now offering him interaction. It all seemed so bizarre.

Carson doesn’t say anything for several minutes, but does take a piece of gum. Finally sitting down across from Nate, he shrugs. “What’s there to tell? I’ve been a hitman and the top choice when it came to interrogation through the Agency. Over the last ten years I’ve killed under orders, I’ve tortured under orders, and during the last five years, I did it without blinking.”

His eyes shift around the room, not willing to land on Nate’s. “Started out as something I was forced to do, and now I got enough blood on my hands that I don’t think the stains can be removed.”

Carson shakes his head, pausing, feeling an odd sense of vulnerability that he didn’t normally feel. “Something hit me this morning…I don’t know…I guess Jamie reminded me of my sister. My family was involved with the Agency at one point, but they wanted out. My parents and sister were killed because they refused to conform. I was the coward of the family, and broke under the pressure. The Agency forced me to work for them if I wanted to stay alive.” Carson’s face shows no emotion, his voice flat and drained of life.

“So I did. I guess I got too good at it and pretty soon I didn’t care anymore. Until this morning…I saw all you out there fighting with your lives, and you were actually succeeding. I guess maybe I was stupid enough to take another chance and see if you guys really could take down the Agency.” He pauses for a moment. “I don’t care if I live or die anymore…working for the Agency has been a living hell, and I wish I would have died with the rest of my family. So if I go down for this, I’m better off. The Agency would catch on so fast if I went back to them that I’d be dead within twenty-four hours. I stay here, and they’ll have that sniper after me instead of Con. Either way, I get what I deserve.”

No comments: