10/7/09

Depressed Vampire

"Yeah, you too." JT watches his niece walk away, still wondering if she was in fact going to see Gunner. He really didn't mind though. She was smart, and he really didn't think Gunner was a bad guy either, just someone with problems.

He grins and shakes his head. "She's a good kid." He stops himself and chuckles. "Kid. One of these days I'll realize she's a grown woman."

Looking at Amanda again, his curiosity rises. Her left hand was void of a ring, but that's pretty much all he knew about her. "What about you? You have family around here?"


Eli listens quietly to Ryan. He hadn't planned on an emotional conversation, but maybe it was good. He reaches out to brush her tear away. "Hey... Pop wouldn't want us crying over him now. Things haven't been all that bad, have they, hmm?"

Her question of John brings a sigh. "Last time I talked with him was over a year ago. I went to see him but... it seemed all we could do was argue so I walked away. I've hated myself for not seeing both of you more often though... even though you're so far away and even though John was stupid..." He purses his lips in thought. "Being on the road for a couple days gave me time to think, ya know? Guess I want to work harder to keep this family together. I don't know how but... I'm tired of the distance."

He squeezes her hand. "But right now we gotta focus on getting you out of here, huh?" He grins at her. "I may have been away from you, but that doesn't mean I doubt you can beat this. I know you still have the fight to do it."


Gunner sits at the little table, looking around at the others who were eating their lunches. He'd only picked at his. There were some normal looking patients here, but some seemed to have a lot more problems than he did. One night and he hated it here.

"Here we go, Brent." The nurse smiles sweetly and hands him a little cup with several pills. "Time to get you feeling better."

Gunner didn't appreciate the cheer, and he throws her a look. "How about lending me that set of keys? That would make me feel better."

The nurse laughs. "You still have a sense of humor. That's good."

Gunner takes the cup with a smirk. "I wasn't joking. See, I'm really a vampire, and I need to get out at night to feed. If you let me out after dark, I promise to be back before dawn."

The nurse's eyes widen slightly and she blinks, her mouth hanging open.

Gunner shrugs. "Maybe next time." He dumps the pills into his mouth, the follows with water to satisfy the nurse.

She walks away and approaches one of the doctors, asking if they needed to "give Brent more than just depression meds."

Gunner withholds his grin, and glances to the waste basket just three feet away. No one was watching, so he takes aim. With surprising accuracy, he spits, sending the pills into the garbage.

No comments: