9/25/09

Bigger problem

Jason gives a little nod and offers Katie a hand up. "Come on... let's take a walk... we won't go far."

Just as they're walking out, they're met by Rick, who gives Katie a gentle smile and nod. "Good to see you, Katie. It won't take me long." He pats her shoulder as he passes.

Jason steps from the porch, making sure Katie is beside him before he turns towards one of the pasture fences. Staying quiet for a few minutes, he leans on the fence, eventually turning to look down at Katie.

"Listen, Katie, I... I wanted to apologize. I guess I haven't been around enough for you lately and... I'm sorry." His eyes search hers, sincerity showing through. "I guess... I don't know... maybe there was stuff I needed to work through too. As far as Camryn goes... she's back in town and I saw her a couple times... got together with her a couple times, just to talk, nothing more."

He reaches out to run a warm finger down the side of Katie's face. "Made me realize I was missing you, actually."

Pausing a moment, he sighs and looks towards one of the buildings. Taking Katie's hand again, he starts to walk once more. "I, um... I've talked a little bit to Rick about... well, about what he came up with for you and me. And... we seem to be fairing alright. No major mishaps anyway, and our bodies seem to have adjusted for the most part."

Stopping near the back of the dining hall, he reaches into his pocket and pulls out an orange bottle of pills. It was his own, and he rattles it a little. "It... seems to be doing the trick."

He pauses again looking deeper into her eyes. "Problem is... it was just a quick fix to a bigger problem."

Turning around, he stops a moment, seeming to be having trouble making a decision. Finally, he aims a throw at the back trash can. The bottle rolls in the air, landing in the metal can with a bang.

Jason turns back around and holds out his hands, letting them fall to his sides. "The bigger problem was me... not our connection. I'm giving it back to you."

No comments: