7/14/09

Gentle grip

Alec looks dumbly out the window at the diner, lifting his eyebrows a little, but not making any comments. Following Ryan he gets out of the car, having a bit of trouble stepping over a curb and making it to the door.

Opening it for her first, he gives a little bow. "Alec. I'm shh-sure you'd be mor'nhappy to meet me if I were...uh, sober."

Getting inside, there aren't too many people, and a corner booth seems the best location for the least amount of attention. Though intoxicated, Alec had some sense left and knew that he needed to sober up. He also knew it wouldn't take too long... once he got something else in his stomach, his head would start to clear. This he knew from past experience....

Chugging down the last of yet another cup of strong black coffee, Alec rests his elbows on the table and cups his hands around the mug, staring in at the remaining swirls and a few grounds that had been left behind. A few trips to the bathroom for some cold water on his face, a piece of toast and countless cups of coffee had brought him back down to an acceptable level as far as his state of mind was concerned. Now though, he'd almost rather not realize where he was... at least being drunk had left him blissfully ignorant.

He had no idea the things he'd said to Ryan... he figured most had been rants about almost getting his head blown off. Those images would stick with him for a while.

Still staring down, his eyes were still a bit glazed, but there was life in them now. "Nothing like staring into the eyes of a friend just to realize they're an enemy," he comments dryly.

Sighing, he finally sits back and sets the coffee cup aside. Looking across to Ryan, he gives a little shrug. "I can't even pay you for the coffee. You probably shoulda just left me at the bar and avoided my little pity party. I'm right back where I was with no place to go, same as I was back there, but at least I didn't know any better while I was there." His eyes narrow slightly. "Why're you helping me anyway? What do you want from this?"


Ryder smiles and winks at Katie. "Kat, this is..." He wished he had a real name to go on. "...Thirteen. She's been staying with Trooper down at TJY, keeping the mutt company." He turns his head to see Thirteen behind him. "Right?"

Giving a little grin, he tightens his grip on her hand and pulls her around beside him. "Come on... Katie won't bite... least I never saw her bite anyone."

He pries his hand loose from hers and makes her stand in front of him, both hands on her shoulders to hold her there, and also so she could still feel him with her. He reaches over her to pull her hair back behind her ears. "Now you see why the Agency wanted to use you? You two look quite a bit alike, ay?" He chuckles. "Two redheads in the same room. I don't know if I can handle that," he teases.

Looking past Thirteen to Katie again, he cocks his head. "So where's that rogue boyfriend of yours?"

"Right here."

Ryder looks around to see Jason, who had just entered the room. His hands remain on Thirteen's shoulders, tightening a little so she couldn't slip away or hide behind him. "Ah, Jason. How's it going?"

"Better now that my hero is back." Jason nods to Thirteen. "This her?"

"Sure is." Ryder's voice stays cheerful for Thirteen's sake. "Thirteen, this is Jason - the guy I've told you about."

Jason had heard that Thirteen was pretty skittish, and he could see it in her eyes now, so he moved slowly, going back to his normal chair to sit down. He holds up his cell phone. "Just got off with Susanne. Sounds like I need to come take Trooper home."

"Mm." Ryder grimaces. "You didn't try to convince her otherwise, did you?"

"Well... I don't know what I'm gonna do. Trooper hasn't bit anybody since he started his training several years ago." Jason sighs, a bit upset by what he'd heard about Hal.

"He was just trying to protect Thirteen," Ryder explains. "I want to try and get Reese to say he can stay... he'd be better off with Thirteen here to keep an eye on him ya know." Though in reality, it was Trooper who was keeping an eye on the girl, Ryder purposely turned it around to avoid her feeling badly.

Jason shrugs lamely. "I don't know what to do."

"If I may say so... I think the dog would probably be in a better mood if his master was around."

"Yeah... I know. I've neglected the poor brute. Now I'm just scared Reese will kick him out for good."

"You mind if I try to talk him out of it?"

"Go right ahead. Call me though if I need to go take him home."

Ryder nods. Looking to Katie again, he gives her another grin. "Take care of yourself, eh? I'll get out of here so you can rest." He cocks his head over Thirteen's shoulder. "Ready to go to the house with me?"

No comments: