4/19/09

I was wrong

Out in the parking lot it is quiet, but someone spots Angelica standing by her car. They quickly shut their door and go towards her, just a little hesitantly.

"Excuse me..." An attractive, tall, slender man with dark hair and glasses approaches from a parked minivan. He looked to be in his late thirties. "You're that lawyer, aren't you?" He extends his hand in a friendly gesture. "My name is Roger West. I just came to speak with Heather Jones because she won't give me any answers over the phone about what's going on."

It's obvious that he is grasping at straws, taking a risk by approaching a total stranger like this, lest she not really be the lawyer he thought she was. But it also proves his desperation for answers. "My wife and I are trying to adopt Mackenzie Nelson, but Heather told us that her father has come back into the picture and may try to take her. Julie and I just want to know what's going on, but Heather won't say any more than that. Last we heard, Mackenzie had run away."

Roger pauses, his eyes searching Angelica's. "I know you probably can't say much but... well, we've fallen in love with that little girl and we just... we want to make sure everything is okay. We don't want to make trouble if Mackenzie's father is back, but..." He shrugs lamely. "We're in a difficult position and... we can't find answers."


Dani smiles, relieved Dalton had remembered her. Her hand is enveloped in his as she shakes it, and she looks up at him with question. "Um... I hope you can. See... I heard that you were holding an Alec Banks here and... I found out that apparently he's a half brother of mine. I... was hoping to get to see him... maybe talk to him? But I didn't know who to ask, or what protocol was."


Scott's eyes look at the folder on Hope's desk, and he is silent for several moments. Finally glancing back up, he offers Hope a small smile. "Thank you..."

It seemed there was more he wanted to say, but he doesn't. Slowly standing, he takes the folder and tucks it under his arm. Looking down he eyes his dog. "Say goodbye to Hope, Domino."

Domino wiggles her stump of a tail and gives a little bark.

"Alright. Come on." Scott doesn't know what really to say or how to say goodbye, so he opts to just leave things as they are. But getting to the door, he hesitates, then turns around one last time. "Hope..." He looks back to her, pausing a moment. "When I first started coming, I told you that you were a seventeen point one. But... I was wrong."

He gives a little sigh. "I added on the point one because you were alone... because I didn't see a wedding band. But... you're far from alone. As long as you keep helping people like me..." He shakes his head. "...you'll always be surrounded by people who care... people who are grateful for the work you do."

Giving a nod, he turns back around, letting the door fall shut behind him. His walk outside was a slow one.

No comments: