3/1/09

Smelling rain

"Reese didn't get him...yet," Rocky response quietly. "But he doesn't know you're here. You're safe." He never tired of repeating that fact.

As Jess jumps and moves closer, Rocky puts an arm around her shoulders, giving them a gentle rub. "He's alright," he assures. "It's just Scott." He didn't know Scott personally, but had seen him a time or two, and knew about him through some of the others.

Once Scott is gone, Rick tells Rocky where the spare room is. Leading Jess gently, Rocky takes her next door and sits her down on the bed. Squatting in front of her, he holds her hands, looking up into her eyes. "I'm gonna go home now, okay? But only because I know you're safe here. I'm only a phone call away, alright?" He gives her hands a squeeze. "Try to get some rest."


Scott spreads one blanket on the floor in front of the desk, lies down, then pulls the other blanket up over him. He moves his pillow around, using the wall to help prop it up a little.

Domino waits until she thinks he's settled before crawling up to sprawl over his chest and stomach. Though kind of heavy to be comfortable, Scott let her stay. He wouldn't be going to sleep all that quickly anyway. Not with having been woke up, and still hearing voices next door.

Though the door to the office was closed, he was glad for the nightlight he'd plugged in on the other wall. He could see what was around him, and that was enough for him not to feel fear.


Ryder lets out a long sigh and finally turns to look at Katie. "I don't have anything to tell Carson. That's the problem." He shakes his head and moves to sit down in the swing, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees. "I... had a nightmare last night."

Glancing up at Katie, he shakes his head. He never told anyone about them. But for some reason he felt safe telling her. "I've never been wrong yet. It's like... I don't know... a sixth sense or something. I just... know when something is going to happen. I don't know what, and I don't know with whom... but it's like being able to smell rain before the storm. I can feel it... I can taste it."

Ryder purses his lips, knowing he must sound crazy. "We shouldn't be going in today. If we do, something bad is going to happen. But I can't prove it." He shrugs lamely. "All I can do is hope that for once, I'm wrong. I have to follow Carson - he's the captain."

No comments: