2/14/09

Frustrations

Kyle continues to stand, his back to Katie. He knew he loved music... and his own grandmother's words hadn't left him. But right now, it didn't do much to boost his spirits. Anything that didn't help fix this didn't seem like anything to consider.

Katie's words ran through his mind, but before he can respond, he sees the strange vehicle. He hadn't noticed the other day what Alice had been driving, so he was a bit surprised to see her as she pulls up and rolls down the window. He knew his eyes were red. He knew the look on his face was not one of some happy rock star. But he didn't try to cover it up... not this time. A smile just wouldn't come.

Her invitation and dilemma are barely heard. All Kyle can remember are her words from the day before, mixing with Katie's now. Out of nowhere, his raised voice comes.

"A rift isn't inevitable! I don't care how danged important music is to me, it's not more important than my friends! And if music is tearing us apart then to heck with it!"

He throws his arms up in the air, his frustrations coming out. "I don't care what either of you say. If my dreams are more important than my friends and family, then it's me who's got the problem, not them."

The tears that had built up earlier threatened again, but didn't spill over. Kyle shakes his head in defeat. "Why can't anybody just tell me it really is me with the problem, when that's the truth? Maybe the others could be more understanding, but they're right... split loyalties will only make things worse. I should be able to make up my mind."

Kyle stops his rant and runs his hands over his face. Turning around, he leans back against Alice's jeep. His eyes lowered along with his tone, he gestures between the two women. "Alice, Katie. Katie, Alice." He sighs deeply, totally defeated.

Looking back up at Katie, he apologizes. "I'm sorry, Hero. Thanks for coming after me." Turning his head, he looks at Alice. "As for you... I'll tell you how to get where you're going, but I highly doubt you want someone like me to keep you company today."


"Knock knock."

"Mm-hmm..." Reese is busy looking over some paperwork and doesn't look up. "What is it?"

Gunner leans on the doorway and hooks his hands in his pockets. "Well that's a fine welcome."

Looking up quickly, Reese's eyes widen. "Brent?"

Gunner smiles. "Surprise."

"Well how did you...?"

"I figured somebody in the infirmary might fill you in. I'm the one that brought the two guys from Texas."

"Ohhh." Now Reese understood. "Well it's great to see you. Come in, sit down."

Gunner accepts the invitation and takes an empty chair. "So you're the big boss now, 'eh?"

Reese chuckles. "Guess so. What were you doing in Texas anyway? I thought you were in Arizona."

"Arizona?!" Gunner's eyes widen. "I've been in Texas since we first got sent there."

"What? I was told that you'd been moved around at least twice now. Nobody's supposed to be off base for that long."

"Well tell that to our dear friend Austin." Gunner cocks his head. "I just about grew roots in that shack called a cabin."

"For pity sake..." Reese grabs a piece of paper to scribble a note. "Why didn't you say anything. You want back here?"

Gunner leaned forward, not wanting to hope. "For real?"

"Sure. I can get someone else in Texas to replace you if you want. Why haven't you requested that?"

Gunner shrugs. "Figured I didn't have much say and I didn't want to lose my job. You're serious? About me coming back?"

"Your cubicle is still unoccupied."

A smile surfaces beneath Gunner's beard. "That's got to be the best invitation I've heard in a long time. You got stuff for me to do?"

Reese looks up as if Gunner was stupid. "You know better than to ask a question like that."


Carson throws a few things into his backpack, picking out only the bare essentials. Stepping back out into the hall, he gives one last look around, knowing he's got to be satisfied with what he's got. Anything else he could get through the Elite.

Back into the living room, he sighs and looks at Misty. "Guess that's it. I'll call Dani when I get back to TJY and Herb too, to let him know what's going on. I'm pretty sure he'll understand. And..." He shrugs. "That's that."

Moving towards her, he sets his backpack on the couch, then sets his hands on Misty's shoulders, giving them a little rub. "I hope I'm not gone too long... I'm gonna miss that smile of yours."

He tilts her chin up with a finger so he can stare down into her eyes. He was worried. Despite his excitement to be back on a case and back into some action, this would require getting very close to the Agency. And for someone like him, who had betrayed them, it was dangerous. He could only hope and pray that things went smoothly with the team he chose.

A sly grin curls the edge of his mouth, and his tone quiets. "I better stock up before I leave." Leaning in, he kisses her lips, his hands moving down to draw her in close.

No comments: