10/5/08

Accomplice

Jason quirks an eyebrow at Dalton's remark and tone. "Yeah...later." Leaving, Trooper follows behind.

Well...that Dalton character is... different. Talk about getting someone opposite Scott as a replacement. But I guess if he knows what he's doing.

Jason shuts his office door behind himself and goes to flop down in his chair. He didn't want to report in to Reese yet. He'd find out what had been happening around here before then.


Domino snuggles into Katie's lap, whimpering for several minutes before finally settling down. Resting her head on Katie's leg, she remains with her new mistress, finding the most comfort here for now.


"Have to go? Then I guess I can't say no, can I?" Kyle laughs. "I'm off work right at seven. I'll just meet everybody there. Save me a spot if I'm late."


Con returns Jamie's kiss, his mouth upturning into a grin. "I'm glad you chose that it was me being nice. How could I ever not be, hmm?"

Wrapping his arms around Jamie, he pulls her close for a hug before letting her go. "Alright then. Mom and Pop's it is. We gotta keep an eye on the rest of these whippersnappers anyway."

Con's eyes roam the floor for a moment. "Off topic, you haven't seen..." His voice trails off as he spots the couple by the door. "...Bret. He did come. I'll be back." Leaving Jamie, he exits the cubicle, aiming for his friend.


"I love you too." Bret leans in for a kiss, returning the squeeze to the hand. Scanning the floor, he can feel Charlotte's nervousness, and tries to overcome it with his own confidence, but little existed. Walking slowly, he's so unsure about all this. It felt like he was walking into a bear's den without having been invited.

Then he spots Con. A little relieved, he aims for him, his hand still in Charlotte's. "Con."

"Bret." Con gives a nod. "Charlotte." He offers her a small smile. "You two alright?"

Bret nods. "Yeah...we came straight here. Now what's going on?"

"They've got footage of your car fleeing the scene of the crime."

"But that's impossible."

"Well it's definitely your car, and it's definitely you behind the wheel."

Bret's voice is a strained whisper as he tries not to draw attention. "But Charlotte and I were in Vegas."

Distrusting, Con probes. "What were you doing there?"

Bret smirks in annoyance, then holds up his left hand.

Con's eyes widen. "You dog." He can't help the smile that spreads and he glances back to Charlotte. "I'd take the time to congratulate you two, but we gotta get this thing cleared up first. Come on. We'll go straight to Reese."

Bret swallows hard and his grip tightens around his wife's hand, but he follows his friend obediently.

Across the floor, down the aisle of cubicles and to the main office. Susanne was already gone for the night, and Reese's door was ajar. Con knocks, then sticks his head in. "Reese?"

"Yeah..." Reese answers absentmindedly as he goes over some paperwork, then realizes who the voice belongs to. Looking up quickly, he lifts his eyebrows. "Well Con. Hi."

"Hi. I got someone here who needs to talk." Con opens the door wider and ushers both Bret and Charlotte in."

Reese stands up from his desk. "Bret Parker. Charlotte. Con, you realize I have to place him under arrest."

"Just... wait a second, will you?" Con holds up his hand. "They have an alibi."

"But how?"

"I don't know."

"Well what's the alibi?"

Con points to the couple. "Elopement."

Reese's eyes widen and he looks to Charlotte. "Congratulations, but your sister is going to kill you."

Bret rolls his eyes. "We know. I just want to get this cleared up. I wasn't at the bank robbery. I knew about it, and I can give you more info on the other guys, but I wasn't there."

Fear flickers in Con's eyes for his friend. "Bret...even if we prove you weren't there... Do you realize that makes you an accomplice?"

Bret's face pales. He felt stupid. How had he not thought of that.

Con continues. "That makes you an accessory to armed robbery and murder."

Reese interrupts. "Maybe we can crack a deal. Information for freedom."

"Like last time?" Bret questions.

"It worked once before." Reese moves towards his phone. "But that's not for me to decide." Picking up the receiver, he dials Angelica's office phone. "Angelica... I need you in my office right away. Drop what you're doing, this is important." Hanging up, he studies the couple for a moment, and sighs. "You know if you weren't Con's friend, I'd have you to the station by now."

Bret swallows hard. "Then I guess I'm glad I got him on my side."

No comments: