9/28/08

Ready and willing

Katie's hand to Jason's face sends a shiver down his spine as hope builds. And as he receives her words of acceptance, the hope turns into a blissful relief.

As she embraces him and buries herself against his chest, he wraps his arms around her in a protective hold, not wanting to let go. "Oh Katie..."

A deep sigh doesn't signal disappointment or sorrow, but a simple relief, and the feeling that he knew it wouldn't be easy from here on out. But he was willing.

Jason rests his head against Katie's breathing in her sweet smell as he hugs her gently. There were so many unknowns... but Con was right. Life was about learning as they go.

After a few moments, Jason pulls away, bringing his palm to Katie's face to wipe away any remaining tears. "I thought something was wrong... I couldn't stand not knowing. I wasn't going to come but... I realized that I wasn't just upset because I thought you were hurt... I was upset even more because I missed you... and I realized that I didn't want to let us both keep being lonely... it wasn't fair to either of us. So... I came."

Jason pauses, looking into Katie's eyes once more. "I know it won't be easy for us..." He gives a short laugh. "Nothing ever has been with us, has it?" He shakes his head. "But I'm tired of fighting this thing all the time... No matter what happens... I'm willing to start walking again."

His hands move to tighten around hers. "Are you okay?"


A silent alarm goes off downtown. Guns are waved in the air. Masked men take what they can and run. Sirens can be heard nearing. The culprits jump into their black car and burn rubber, speeding away from the scene. Bystanders stop and stare. Police cruisers screech to a halt in front of the bank. The thieves had escaped.

No comments: