6/8/08

Promise me

Wyatt’s pulse quickens as he feels Aerith’s touch to his skin. Looking into her eyes, everything around him seems to fade away and time seems to stand still. If only he could make this moment last…if only nothing else really mattered.

He instinctively moves forward towards Aerith, his face inches from her own. The sun shining down on them was warm, the breeze peaceful and mild.

Chances didn’t come everyday. And once one was passed by, it often never came back around again. To seize the moment was to live to the fullest. To take that chance was to risk it all just to never wonder what could have been.

Wyatt tilts his head ever so slightly, bringing his face to Aerith’s. His eyes close for a moment as his lips brush hers, but he pulls back just a little, searching her eyes again, his gaze questioning if it was too much to ask if he wanted to do it again.


Jeff grins at his niece as he steps down off the porch. He knew good and well Katie could handle herself and Scott just fine, but truth be known, he’d wanted to interact with them while he still could, and this was a prime excuse.

Getting into the barn, he helps Scott find a pair of boots, then goes to get Crimson, agreeing the gelding was a good choice.

“Alright…how much do you know?” Jeff ties Crimson in the center of the barn aisle, going to groom him quickly before tacking up.

Scott stands a safe distance away, his arms folded across his chest. “I know the difference between the head and the hind end.”

Jeff chuckles. “That’s a better start than some people have.” He goes about brushing Crimsons’ soft coat quickly, to not waste too much time. “Well, today I’ll just give you the quick learning experience so you Katie won’t be waiting for you all day.”

“That would probably be a good thing. She’d never let me live it down.”

“Ohh…” Jeff grins a little slyly as he works. “I’d say by that look in her eye, she might let it slide if you asked her real nice, but let’s not press our luck.”

Scott’s face reddens just slightly, and he lets that train of thought end there.

It’s not long before Crimson is saddled and Jeff is outside in the small corral, instructing Scott.

Scott can see Katie nearby and tries not to let how nervous he is show.

Jeff gestures to the horse. “Alright, you always mount up from the left side. Left foot in the left stirrup, and swing yourself on up there.”

Scott eyes the saddle, the stirrup, the height. “You know…this is a lot taller than that pony I was on as a kid.”

“Scared?”

“Terrified.”

“Then maybe this isn’t such a good idea.”

Scott sighs, seeing Katie again. “No…I’ll do it.”

“Then try your best to get over that fear, ‘cause the horse will know it’s there.” Jeff pats the saddle again. “Up you go.”

Scott swallows hard and steps forward, taking hold of the saddle and getting his left foot up into the stirrup. Standing for just a moment, he swings up to straddle the horse, having just a little trouble getting his right foot in the other stirrup.

“Alright. See? That’s not so bad, is it?” Jeff looks up at him.

Scott’s hands are on the saddle horn. “No, not at all…what do I have to be afraid of, sitting on half a ton of meat that could kill me if it wanted to?”

Jeff laughs. “Relax. Okay…here are your reins…” He goes into a brief explanation about how to go, stop and turn. “Take him for a spin around the corral just a couple times, then I’ll send you on out with Katie.”

“Great.” Scott takes up his reins and kicks Crimson’s sides lightly to get him walking. After two rounds, he starts to relax a little. Maybe this wasn’t so bad after all.

Jeff nods with satisfaction. “You look good – you pick up on it quick, and I’m not just saying that. How about…”

Before he can finish, a gust of wind suddenly takes the side door of the barn, slamming it shut with a loud bang. Crimson, knowing he’s got a novice rider, and being startled by the noise, suddenly takes off.

Jeff’s eyes widen. “Pull back on your reins!” he calls.

Crimson is already at a high lope, turning the far end, and shooting back toward the gate. Scott does as he’s told, and pulls with all his might. To his misfortune, Crimson obeys too well, and skids to a sudden halt.

Momentum, however, carries Scott further. Up and out of the saddle he goes, slipping right over Crimson’s head to do a summersault and land hard on the ground.

Jeff is quick to slide down next to him. “You alright? Scott…are you hurt?”

Scott just lies still for a moment, staring up and blinking, trying to breathe after the wind had gotten knocked out of him. “I…think so.” Rolling over, he picks himself back up, dusting himself off.

“You hurt anywhere?”

Scott tries out all his muscles and rotates his weak wrist gingerly, glad he’d worn his brace today. “Nowhere by my pride,” he admits ruefully.

“Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea.”

Scott grits his teeth and looks back at the horse. “If you think I’m going to let this beast get the best of me, you’ve got another thing coming. I’ve got a date, and I’ll not have an animal ruin it for me.”

Jeff starts to grin. “I thought you were afraid.”

“I think adrenaline just overtook that.” Scott grabs his reins and throws them back up over Crimson’s head. Without even waiting for Jeff, he’s in the saddle again. Crimson tries to go forward before he’s ready, and he pulls back sharply. “Oh, no you don’t. Not this time.” Getting his other foot in the stirrup he’s finally settled. “We’re going to try this again, and this time I’m not going to let my guard down!”

After a few more rounds of walking and even trotting just once, Jeff feels its safe enough to let him out to go with Katie.

Slowly riding up to her, Scott stops Crimson by Rocket. “So…now that I’ve given you the entertainment for the day, shall we be on our way?”


Clint takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. “Why do you always have to be right?” he asks Wendy in annoyance. Reaching out, he pulls her close for a hug. “I’m sorry I snapped at you. And you’re right…I need to be more understanding. It’s not every day somebody gains a brother instantly like that. I think he’s just as mad as I am at the moment, but…” He sighs. “Maybe I should talk to him later.”


Mick slows his horse down as well, and looks over to Rosetta. Coming to a clearing, he pulls to a stop, and just thinks for several moments. “Rosetta…you know I’m not one to back down from a fight…nor would I ever tell someone to tuck tail and run. But…there’s something I want to ask you to do…something that I’m going to beg you to do…for me.”

He looks her in the eye, his genuine concern and love showing through. “We’re all hoping and praying that things go well tomorrow. But if they don’t…if that judge declares all of us guilty and we’re sentenced to prison… before anybody can get here…”

He pauses, the seriousness hanging in the air. “Rosetta, I want you to promise me that before you’re taken, that you and that little boy get as far away from here as you can.” Mick knows his words will not be liked, but he’s begging her. “I could never live with myself behind bars, knowing that you too were suffering, and that BJ was ending up in some strange family who didn’t know or understand him. I’ve never asked you to run from the law before…but for me…please…give me the peace of mind to know that if things go sour, you’ll run.”

No comments: