6/8/08

Needing somebody

Jason helps Wes with the bike for a while, tinkering with the engine, and puttering around the shop. After a while though, he gradually steps back to the side, just observing, a bit of awkwardness returning. He felt like he should go do something, or be with someone…but there was nothing he could really do, and no one to do it with. He’d already spoken to his mother…Jade was busy…and anyone else had other people they were doing things with. He felt a bit like a lame duck at the moment.


As Wyatt hears Aerith’s whisper and feels her lips return to his, his heart races. Returning the kiss timidly at first, he lets it linger, gradually letting his confidence build until he dares to let his gentle passion through. Reaching to the side of Aerith’s face, his palm caresses her cheek as he kisses her warmly, taking in the moment without regret. The taste was sweet. The exchange was tender.


Clint smirks at Wendy. “Alright. We can get something to eat. Though I dare say IF there’s anything left, it’s gonna be cold.”

Slinging an arm around her shoulder, they head to the mess hall. Upon entering, Clint suddenly stops, seeing his mother and sister at the far end, just sitting down with several others.

Becky looks up, a smile immediately forming. “Clint!”

Rosalynn jumps up from her seat and runs across the room to throw her arms around her twin.

Clint chuckles and swings his sister around. “What? You act like you haven’t seen me in years!”

“That’s what it feels like.” Rosalynn giggles. She turns to give Wendy a hug too. “Oh, it’s so good to be back!”

Becky is next in line, giving both hugs. She looks to Clint with question. And is just about to ask, when he nods at her. “Yeah, he talked to me.”

Tears glisten in Becky’s eyes. “I’m so sorry, Clint. I know this must be hard on you.”

“Yeah, well…what can we do?” Clint shrugs. “Someone pointed out that this is a chance most people never get so…I guess I need to be more grateful than mad.”

Becky gives her son a proud smile. “Is your father around here?”

“I haven’t seen him since…” Clint grimaces just a little. He may feel better after talking with Wendy, but he certainly hadn’t helped things earlier. “Um…it didn’t exactly go well earlier. Ty and I were both a bit upset.”

“Ty, huh?”

“Yeah.” Clint nods, giving his mother a small smile. “That’s what he goes by.”

Becky swallows hard. “Where is he?”

Clint shakes his head. “I don’t know.”


Mick dismounts his horse as well, and follows Rosetta slowly. As she stops and speaks, his arm finds its way around her shoulder. “As long as you’re safe,” he says quiet. “As long as you don’t let them take you or BJ. No matter what it takes...I couldn’t bear the thought of you behind bars.”

Turning Rosetta so she’ll look at him, Mick stares her in the eye. “If we lose this tomorrow, the Agency will be pleased. Don’t let them win by allowing it to happen to you.”


“Come on, Sparky, take a break.”

Sparky throws another hay bale down from the loft, landing feet from Mel. “Life doesn’t stop because a court hearing is tomorrow.”

“No, but it might stop because of it,” Mel counters. “Come on…you’ve got family and friends here…” She looks up at him from the barn aisle. “Spend some time with them before it’s too late.”

Sparky pauses in his work, wiping the sweat from his brow. “They’ve all got things they’re doing already. I would just interrupt. Being by myself isn’t the worst thing that’s ever happened to me.”

“Yeah, well I know someone who’s feeling pretty down about this whole thing, who would just like to be told it’s going to be okay, but they don’t have anybody to go to.”

Sparky quirks an eyebrow, his compassion kicking in. “Who?”

Mel lets her eyes drop. “Me.”

Sparky gives a little sigh and takes off his gloves. He slowly makes his way down the ladder to stand in front of Mel. “I’m sorry. You’re right. I should be spending time with other people. I guess…I just didn’t want to stop and think about tomorrow, so I opted to keep my hands busy instead.”

Mel looks back up at him and forces a short, dry laugh. “Sparky Henson, you’re the most difficult man I’ve ever met.” She stops. “No, I take that back. Your brother is worse. But I at least thought I’d have a chance with you.”

Sparky can feel a bit of heat rising up his neck. He’d liked Mel since she’d arrived at the ranch…he’d taken her side when others hadn’t believed her, and he’d entertained thoughts of forming something more than just a surface friendship. But things had happened…he’d gotten busy…he hadn’t pursued anything just because…well, maybe he hadn’t thought he’d had much of a chance either with someone like Mel, even though she did flirt with him. She’d been busy, he’d been busy…he just hadn’t jumped on any free chances. Perhaps he’d always been just a little scared that he’d wind up as the disappointed reject. But…in all reality…he still entertained those thoughts of having something more with Mel, and they’d grown even stronger over the passing of time. Every time he sat with her…every time they went riding together…every time he looked at her from across the room. He’d just…he’d…was there really a good reason he hadn’t pursued more like he’d wanted to? Suddenly facing that question, Sparky realizes that he didn’t have an excuse anymore. “Have I been that offish?”

“Not at first.” Mel chuckles, resigning herself to the fact that there were no feelings there, even if it was disappointing. “For a while there I thought maybe there might be a chance for something, but…after it’s been this long, I guess that’s my hint, huh?” She shakes her head. “Though it would be nice if you could just stop working for a few minutes and at least have a glass of lemonade with me or something.”

Sparky cocks his head. Mel had showed interest in him, but…was there really the chance for something more from her perspective? “I didn’t think you cared that much.”

“About lemonade?”

He rolls his eyes. “No…about any possibilities.”

“I’m surrounded by people all day long, Sparky…but that doesn’t mean I’m not lonely. I’ve had chances with a ton of other guys in my life…but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t choose you.”

No comments: