5/18/08

Theater

Jeff moves quickly to Rosetta, putting an arm around her shoulder. “Hey, hey, it’ll be okay, alright?”

Austin sets his jaw grimly, answering Rosetta. “We do nothing.”

“What?” Sparky looks at him as if he were crazy. “We have no idea what happened to Mick, and you want us to do nothing?!”

“What would you do?” Austin shoots back. “We know good and well that this is the Agency. What else could it be? And how many times have our own actions done any good? Not many. We don’t know where they took Mick..we don’t even know if he’s still in the state. Going out and looking for him will only split us up into prime targets. No… I will call back to headquarters and an inside investigation will start. But there’s nothing more we can do from here.”


Scott gives Katie a weary grin as she hands him some magazines. “You’re a lifesaver. I can only count ceiling tiles so many times in a row before I lose my mind.”

He sighs a little at the news of the missing files. “Yeah, that’s what I figured. They won’t be back then – they got what they wanted.”


“Oh, no.” Reese’s shoulders drop as he speaks to Austin on the phone. “You’ve got to be kidding me….. No, alright… yeah…. Well keep your eyes open, but I agree you can’t do much from there…I don’t know what you could do. I’ll get some men on high alert and we’ll just have to see this one through as it comes. If the Agency wants something out of this, they’ll be contacting us.”


Wyatt gets out of his car as he sees Aerith pull in, and smiles as she approaches. “Hey. Not a problem. I haven’t been here long.”

He starts towards the entrance, scanning the signs outside. “I don’t have a clue what we’re seeing,” he admits ruefully. “There’s several things playing though, so I just thought I’d let you choose.”

Wyatt is just reaching for the door to open it for Aerith when his cell phone rings. “Aw, man…” He grimaces. “Hang on just a sec, will ya?” He turns to walk a couple feet away before answering the phone. It was Reese. He was wanted back at TJY. He needed to start investigating with Nate and Carson about why the Agency would want Mick. Great….just great…

Irritation floods Wyatt’s veins, but there was nothing he could do. Going back to Aerith, he has no idea how to tell her this.

“Aerith…” He sighs deeply. “I am so sorry…that was work…I can’t tell you how much I hate to do this to you, but I’m gonna have to leave.”

He looks at her with all the apology he can muster. All he wanted was one evening, and he hadn’t even gotten that. How many more would be like that? And she couldn’t even know why.

Searching her eyes, he decides that despite his desire to see her more, he needed to continue… “Look…I know there are things about me that you don’t know and are wondering about…” The court date was two and a half weeks away. “But right now I can’t tell you about them. And…this is going to keep happening, and I don’t want to keep disappointing you.”

Wyatt pauses, knowing he sounds like a complete idiot. “In a little over two weeks, I’ll be able to tell you if I can keep seeing you or not. I know this sounds crazy, and if you want to forget this whole thing I won’t blame you. But if you decide to trust me…this really is the truth. Can you hold on for a while before I ask you out again?”


Though a team works late at TJY, by nightfall, most have headed to their homes for the night, the main floor quiet except for Katie’s cubicle where she was working late. Hal and Ty make their cleaning rounds, though soon are gone as well, to the lower level.

Scott runs his hand over Domin’s fur absentmindedly, boredom taking over. He’d gone through his magazines already and was now back to where he’d been. He’d had a light supper, as much as he could manage eating, but he was left wide awake with no desire to go to sleep, yet what else could he do?

Rick was gone for the night, Katie was apparently working….there was no one else around…

Getting an idea, Scott mulls it over for several minutes. Did he dare? He looks down at Domino. “Should I?”

She looks up at him and licks his hand, wiggling with enthusiasm.

“Yeah, that’s what I thought. Come on.”

Domino gets up and jumps off the bed, waiting for further instructions.

Scott slowly sits up, wincing as he goes. It had been several hours since he’d even moved, and he’d grown stiff again. Taking a moment to let a little dizziness pass, he stands up, a bit unsteadily, his bare feet finding the tiled floor cold.

His injured wrist tucked to his side to hold his ribs, he slowly walks to the door, pulling the blanket off the bed as he goes. His first stop is the break room, though it takes him a lot longer than anticipated, as reaching up into a cupboard proves to be a more painful task than expected.

Finally satisfied though, he heads out into the hall again, aiming for the main floor. The end of the blanket drags a little on the floor, and suddenly seems to have become quiet heavy. Turning around, Scott sees that Domino has caught a ride, sitting on the end of the blanket to be dragged down the hall.

Grinning and rolling his eyes, Scott lets her, and continues his route. Once on the main floor, he goes to his cubicle. He can see a light on in Katie’s and is glad she’s still there, otherwise he’d already be in big trouble. He keeps his own light off, but turns on his computer and reaches for a small stack of DVDs he kept there, getting them out to put on his desk. Moving his chair out of the way, he spreads the blanket on the floor and aims his computer screen downward.

Taking a breather for a moment, he tells Domino to stay put, then heads for Katie’s desk. His walk is almost silent as his bare feet and slow pace make little sound. Reaching Katie, he knocks on the wall. “Don’t you know it’s unhealthy to work so late?”

He musters up a smile. “Before you yell at me for being out of bed let me at least ask you to the movies.” His eyes show their mischief. “Though I’m not walking all the way back to the break room to get the popcorn that should be done by now. You can do that. But the theater is a few cubicles down…that is…if you feel like joining me.”

No comments: