3/15/08

Ending the day

Kyle receives Katie’s smile like the earth soaking up sunshine and he can’t help letting a wink escape in her direction. He waits for her to drop her gaze first, allowing her just a slight glimpse of the depth beneath the silliness he always shows.

Jason chuckles at Katie’s comment. “Yeah…let me warn you guys…there’s not getting rid of Hero once she makes up her mind.” He looks in her direction with a thoughtful smile. “Not that that’s a bad thing.”

Finished eating, Jen lays her napkin on her paper plate and looks at both Jason and Katie in thought. “Well…I know I speak for the guys too when I say we appreciate you both telling us all this.” She smiles at Katie. “I know it wasn’t that easy.”

“There’s an awful lot to think about,” Phil agrees. “But, Jason, we’ll let you know by tomorrow our decision. There’s no point in dragging it out and making you wonder.”

Jason nods. “Thank you. And if you decide it’s not best for the band to have me around, then know I’m not going to be offended.”

Kyle smirks a little. “If you don’t end up with us, I expect to see a single record of yours out within a year. You’re too good not to do something with that voice and guitar of yours.”

Jason’s face reddens just a little. “Well, we’ll see. In the meantime, thanks, guys. I know this was a lot to hear.”

“How come you trust us?” Mike questions. “If this corporation….TJY…is so secretive, how come you could tell us?”

Kyle intervenes slyly. “I betcha we’ve been checked out.”

Jason can’t lie, and nods. “I trusted you, but I did have a background check run on you, just to satisfy my boss.”

“Oh great, so you know about my speeding ticket,” Phil groans.

Jason laughs. “I won’t tell anyone.”

“Well…” Jen breaks up the conversation, looking at the darkening sky. “I’ve got cookies in the kitchen if anyone would like to go get them before we have to break up this little party.”

“Ooh!” Kyle jumps up. “I’m on it.”

As he leaves, Phil leans forward to see around Mike to Katie. “So…Kyle said you were working on that picture…”


Con’s heart rate quickens as Jamie rises from the floor and moves closer to him. Her hands on his skin feel like velvet. The sweet smell of her perfume drifts on the cool air, caressing his senses.

As Jamie’s lips meet his, he’s unsure if the room spins because of his fever or because of the moment. The cloth on his forehead slips off unnoticed as his eyes go closed.

He slowly returns the kiss with gentle passion, a contrast to his rough features. His hands move to Jamie’s face and head, cradling her with tenderness.
Pulling away every so slightly, he combs her hair back from her face, tucking it behind her ear before drawing her back close to return his lips to hers.

Though tired and weak, he wouldn’t trade this moment for anything.

He finally releases his soft hold, drawing back just enough to see Jamie’s eyes. He runs a finger down the side of her face, memorizing every detail. But reality knocks at the door, reminding Con of the truth. He was exhausted.

You better go home,” he whispers. “You’re gonna get sick.

No comments: