2/25/08

Void

Though stunned, Laura agrees with Katie and says if there's anything she can do, to let her know.

Jason hangs up the phone, not having dialed. He can feel Katie's eyes on him, but refuses to meet them. "I can't do it...how am I supposed to tell my mother that all her belongings are gone? Just like that?" He bows is head to rest his forehead on his hands, resting his elbows on his desk. "That's not something she should hear over the phone." Making up his mind, he picks up the phone before he has a chance to think of something else, and dials quickly. "Hey, Con..." He laughs a little, though his facial expression remains dismal. "No...it's not.... look, in the morning I need you to talk to my mom, alright? No, I'm fine..." Jason closes his eyes for a moment, regaining his strength. "It's the house. There was a fire.... everything was lost. ....Yeah, I got out alright, but nothing's left...I can't tell Mom over the phone. I'd appreciate either you or Austin telling her what happened, and if she wants to call me tomorrow, I'll be here at work. .....No...but I'm staying the night here... yeah....I'm sure... Thanks, Con. Yeah...talk to you later."
He hangs up the phone, exhausted.

Still not looking at Katie, he rises from his seat. "I'll be right back." He exits his office to head into the bathroom across the hall. Standing at the sink, he splashes cold water on his face and washes his hands, at least getting clean, though he's pretty sure his clothes are ruined from the smell of smoke. He leans his hands on the sink and looks up to stare himself in the eye, water dripping off his face. He'd faced despairing times before...he'd lost friends, he'd been injured, he'd been shoved around... but nothing had ever felt like this.

After drying his face on a towel, he comes back to his office. He stands for just a moment, not even knowing what to do. Leaning against the wall, he slides to the floor, bringing his knees up to his chest, his arms holding them in place. He stares straight ahead as memories begin to bombard him. School nights...cookouts...birthday parties... Almost forgetting Katie's presence, his wall cracks under the pressure and a single tear escapes to silently roll down his cheek. He fights the feeling of vulnerability for all he was worth. He can feel himself shutting down. He can feel himself starting to slip into the void where he could shut out the world.

No comments: