2/19/08

Hero

Wyatt shakes his head, remaining serious. "I don't think you're crazy at all. I think you have a gift...and I can see why Carter wanted you here." Question flickers in his eyes of why Jason and Katie didn't end up partners like he'd heard they would, but he opts not to ask.
For a moment, he's tempted to ask her to stay for supper, though decides better of it. Katie appears to be tired, and he doesn't want to come across as that forward. "Laura's probably thinking I kidnapped you or something," he teases. "How about I give you a ride back to her place?"

Ty sits on the edge of the guest room bed, staring at the newspaper he brought in from the living room. Wyatt had shown him where th want ads were and had even circled a couple for him that were within walking distance. But though Ty had looked at the paper all day long, he couldn't decide what to do. He knew if he wanted to find something he was going to have to ask for help, but he'd been embarrassed enough through the years that he didn't want to go through all that again. At the same time though...the others were bound to find out sometime if he wasn't careful. Could he really get away with no one knowing? But even if he did happen onto a job he recognized, he'd never be able to make it.
Sighing, Ty tosses the paper into the trash. It was doing him just as much good in there as it had out on the table.



Cindy's eyes fall closed as she receives Wes' kiss. She feels warm and fuzzy all over as the tingling spreads. She's not let a man this close since Derek..a fact that's startling even to her.
She's almost sorry when Wes withdraws, and she opens her eyes to see his face, knowing what he's thinking. She sinks back into his arms for a hug, letting him know that she has chosen to allow him one step closer and has no intention of being scared away - not this time.
"Oh Wes...what I am I to do? I don't want to leave."



"...I should have been paying more attention." Jason sits propped up in the hospital bed, talking with Todd. He feels a bit dizzy and his fingers and toes are sore, but reality is slowly coming back to him, and the fog in his mind is lifting. "I was stupid...again."

"Actually, it's a good thing that tree fell." Todd straddles a chair, leaning his arms on the back of it. "Up around the next bend, a bunch of snow caved in from the east cliff. We think it happened right about the time you were going through there. If that tree hadn't fallen on you, you could have been buried alive."

Jason raises an eyebrow. "Wow."

"Yeah, you're one lucky duck, I'll give you that. Doc said he was amazed you hadn't received any serious injuries. Even your bad leg only got bruised."

Jason gives a short laugh. "Yeah...lucky alright... hey, how'd you know I was out there anyway? You came pretty quick, didn't you?"

"Oh yeah." Todd nods. "I forgot. Carter called us. Said that new gal they got at headquarters phoned him in a panic, saying you were in trouble. He believed her and got on the phone with me and ordered me to go look for you."

Jason blinks, just staring at him. "Katie?"

"Yeah."

Jason can't help the wry grin that escapes, and leans his head back into his pillows, whispering to himself. "Once my hero, always my hero, eh, Katie?"

"What?"

"Nothing." Jason shakes his head, turning his attention back to Todd. "How long did they say I'd have to be in here?"

Todd shrugs. "Just overnight I think. I got to head back to base here in a bit, but Hal's coming up to get you when you're released. Doc said he just wanted to keep an eye on you for a while, then you'd be free to go."

No comments: