12/7/09

Your ranch

Mick lifts his head, though he still won't look at Rosetta, his shoulders drooping. One could see his anger was boiling just below the surface, but an element of defeat kept it at bay. For the longest moment, he is silent, almost as if not having heard Rosetta speak. But finally he responds. His tone has a bite to it, though he keeps it calm.

"And that's the way it is, isn't it? I think this is the first time we've disagreed about something dealing with this place. But it doesn't matter, does it? I'm your husband... the head of my household... but it's your ranch."

He finally turns to look at his wife. His eyes were so tired - it looked as though he had been at war. There was more defeat than malice, but his frustration was so high, and he wore an air of depression. "You started this place, not me. I guess I shouldn't have expected any different when I married you, but it's still 'Rosetta's ranch.' Maybe I need to go do something else and let someone else manage things here. I just thought things would be different... that it would become the Henson ranch and that we'd be a team. But... maybe I didn't realize that it would always just be yours."

Sighing, he runs a hand over his face. He didn't even know what he was saying. Everything felt wrong. His cell phone buzzes in his pocket, and for the first time in a week, he ignores it.


Sparky's head hangs a little as he contemplates all that had been happening lately. "I just don't know what's wrong with him, Angel. Nothing's ever right anymore. And me... I just get in the way. Sure, I help Rosetta but... what's the point if I just cause strife on the side?"

Sliding off the stool, he pauses before heading for the door. "I know everybody else doesn't mind me here, but with the big boss upset with you, it kinda defeats the purpose of staying. I'm tired of getting pushed around. Is that so terrible?"

No comments: