11/17/09

Your preference

Leo just lets his head sink into Ryan's lap, his eyes falling shut again as she raked her fingers through his hair. She knew how to calm his nerves and make him feel relaxed. He tightens his grip a little on her hand, showing he liked being here.

"So what's this mean, Ry?"

He doesn't try to open his eyes again, and just speaks, his voice quite and a bit hoarse. "Are we gonna try again?"


Gunner flinches when he's elbowed, but a grin spreads on his face and he taps Bree with his foot again. He wasn't used to teasing like this, or being teased back... it was kinda fun.

Not much changes through the rest of the movie. Gunner manages to stay awake and every once in a while, he'd reach down to tug at Bree's hair, or give her another nudge just to get a reaction, at which point, laughter always followed.

As the credits roll, JT yawns and stands to stretch, glancing at the clock. "Well... this has been fun."

Gunner knows that this household is ready to call it a night, and he knows he should probably mak ea move to leave. Swinging a leg over Bree's head, he stands up as well, going to slip his tennis shoes back on. "I can walk home," he mentions. "It won't take me too long."

"You're not walking." JT rolls his eyes, not even letting Gunner argue. He glaces to his niece. "I can take him or you can - your preference."


Jade follows Dan's directions, helping round up the rogue horses and get them into the barn. Sliding the last stall shut, she latches it and turns to give a little laugh at Dan. "Well, that was exciting." She rolls her eyes, aiming for the barn door.

Getting there, she stops and scans the area, seeing the lights on in the main house. She did not know that her father had returned. Sighing, she knows she should probably go to bed and get some sleep.

Looking to Dan again, her expression fades just a little, replaced by something softer. "I guess... this is goodnight. See you tomorrow?"


Reese looks up from his paperwork, startled by the figure in the doorway. "Ryder! What are you doing here?"

"Well, you've been trying to get a hold of me and-"

"You could say that again!" Reese sets aside his work for now. "How many messages have I left on your answering machine? I'd think you were dead if you hadn't left messages for me with Susanne, which, by the way, I didn't appreciate when I was available to speak at any time. What do you think you're doing?!"

Ryder cringes a little and steps further into the office, though hesitantly. "Avoiding you?'

"Yes, it appears that way. Why, pray tell, have you been avoiding me and shirking your duties?"

"Well how would you feel with those angry messages on your answering machine? I figured I'd be getting sacked, so I wanted to let things cool for a while. Apparently, it didn't work."

Reese's eyes narrow. If he hadn't been so busy the last few days, he would have been all over Ryder. "You know why I called in the first place?"

"Um... the thing on tv?"

"Uh-huh. Do you have any idea how stupid-"

"I'm sorry, okay?!" Ryder throws up his hands. "I didn't know I'd be on tv and, and I know you're upset about the whole thing and me and Thirteen, I just-"

"You and Thirteen?"

Ryder stops and blinks. "This.... isn't about her and me?"

Reese rolls his eyes. "What, that you're dating in secret? That's old news, Ryder. I knew that the minute you moved in over there."

Ryder's eyes are wide. "You mean you... but... you're the reason I kept it a secret! Why didn't you say something?"

"What can I say? It was fun watching you squirm instead of admitting you'd fallen for our rescued damsel." Reese smirks a little. He'd wondered how long it would take Ryder to admit that he and Thirteen had something between them. "No, it's not about that - you know I don't like agents' involvement with clients like that, but I'm not a tyrant. I've loved before too, ya know." He shakes his head. "No, this is about your stupid crocodile stunt. It's bad enough my men are in danger in the field, then you go and tempt fate by teasing a crocodile with your life! And on tv to boot! The press did a great job making fun of the Elite, or didn't you notice?"

Ryder sighs and sets his hands on his hips. "I missed it, okay? I missed what I used to do. You got me stuck part-time in a cubicle, just because you don't want to let me go, but there's no real place for me here. You know it, and I know it. I'm just extra baggage."

Reese leans back in his chair thoughtfully. "Is that how you feel? I'll shift job positions if you need it - I thought you liked being able to concentrate on getting Thirteen on her feet."

"Well yeah but... I don't know... I just feel like I don't belong here anymore. I got a job offer from the zoo and... and... it's tempting."

"From the Elite to the zoo?"

"At least I can stay active."

Reese purses his lips. "Tell you what. Let this lie another night. Come in and talk to me tomorrow. I have an idea. I think you can have the best of both worlds if you and someone else are willing?"

"Who?"

"I'll tell you tomorrow."

No comments: