11/27/09

Near-collision

"Yeah... yeah, ok." Gunner tries to regain what composure he can and get his head back on straight. As strange as it was though, he simply didn't want to let go of her hand, or even get up for that matter. He wasn't too thrilled with himself, especially when he caught a look in Bree's eye that mirrored the feeling in the pit of his gut. It was an odd form of disappointment. He gives her fingers a gentle squeeze, his heart still beating wildly under her palm.

Finally, he lowers his hand, along with hers, and stands up. Heat comes to his face all over again, for what reasons, he still wasn't sure. Now that he'd made a fool of himself, he wanted to stay and run away at the same time. What were these terrible conflicting feelings?

Sighing briefly, Gunner grabs his t-shirt and pulls it over his head as he goes back around the couch. He leaves it untucked, going for his denim jacket. It was supposed to be a warmer day today, but he knew it was probably still a bit chilly out. Grumbling as he looks for his keys, he finally finds them and is ready to go, skipping on breakfast.

But when he gets to the door, he pauses, turning back around. He walks partway back to the couch, stops, turns back to the door, makes one more spin about again until he finally decides on the door. "Just... leave the door locked on your way out," he throws over his shoulder. "And... call me about that float... I think I'm gonna need it later."

And with that... he was gone. Heading down the single flight of stairs, he gets to his car and starts for work. On his way though, his mind was anywhere but the road. "Dang it," is mumbled under his breath. What was he doing? One wrong step and he could ruin the friendship he'd formed with Bree. Again, he thinks about all the friends he had... all of them could be collected at TJY. But he'd never really gotten close to them. He was closest to Con, but even then, apart from recent events, the only interaction they had was at work. Oh, sometimes lunches were eaten together out or at the office... but all these years, Gunner had been so involved in his own mission... he'd hardly noticed any real friendships that he might have been within his reach. And now he had Bree. If anyone would ask who his best friend was, she would be the first one to come to mind. Would these... strange new feelings... interfere with that?

Gunner's foot slams on the brakes, his heart feeling as though it would go right through his chest. The pickup truck crosses the intersection, feet in front of his car, its horn blaring. It was Gunner's fault. The intersection that he stopped at every day had gone unnoticed, along with the stop sign.

Getting his mind back where it should be, he continues to work with a good reminder to keep his eyes on the road.


"Yo, Bree!" JT had gotten her voicemail, calling her as he stirred breakfast on the stove. "I made too much food... again. I don't know if you're working later today or not - you might even be at work now and I could be talking to the inside of your purse. But, I figured if you were up and had time for a bite, there's plenty. Otherwise you know me - it'll go to waste. One of these days, I'll figure out how to prepare the right portions." He laughs. "You don't need to call me back - just come over or ignore me. Talk to ya later."


Returning Katie's kiss, Jason pulls her onto his lap, his eyes closing as he runs his fingers through her hair.

Mmmm, I'm glad you're back. Talking to you every day just isn't enough.

Cocking his head the other way, he lets his emotions run freely to her, through their connection and through his kiss.

Reese is waiting for me... but I don't wanna go. Can we run away, now that you're back?


"Uh... just take me straight down to fifth street. I gotta go over a couple blocks from there, but I can walk that alright." Ty sighs, feeling a bit miserable from the entire morning's ventures.

Giving Libby a sidelong glance, he can't help but notice her fine features and the way a stray strand of hair played about her cheek.

"Nice to meet you, Libby. I'm Tyler... though I go by Ty - easier to say one syllable I guess. Do you live around here?"


Kip turns his head to look at the young woman, surprised she was still there and more surprised yet by her wanting to help. "Yeah, I'm okay."

Another bead of sweat trickles down his face and he shakes his head. "No, that was a lie. But a kind word and a swig of water are far from what I need to be okay." He gives a dry laugh and glance down the deserted street. It was quiet this early morning.

"I'm surrounded every day by people who care, but I continue to screw up anyway, playing with fire and dancing evil game with a father who would like me to make him rich or die."

Rolling his eyes at himself, Kip didn't know why he'd just said that to a total stranger. It had just come out without him thinking. "Sorry," he apologizes, offering another short laugh. "Not my day."

No comments: