10/3/09

Timing

Jade's face is red with embarrassment. "I'm not usually clumsy," she grumbles. "I don't know what happened." She rolls her eyes at herself.

As Dan takes her hand, she shivers just a little. "You don't have to..." She stops, knowing that too often she didn't accept help. "I mean... thanks." She swallows hard, feeling Dan's rough but warm hands. "Just don't put too big a bandage on it or else Dad will be all over me." She laughs. "I'll have enough to talk to him about without this too."


JT grins and nods. "Alright. I'll see you later then after I get a nap. I'll keep my pager on though. The desk has my number."

Giving a little wave, he turns to head to the locker room. It would be several hours before he returned...


A motorcycle engine revs as the bike pulls into the hospital parking lot. It had taken a while to find the way, but after a couple stops to ask around, the destination had been found.

The driver dismounts and pulls off his helmet, the chain from his jeans beltloop to his wallet rattling. Taking off his gloves, he heads inside.

The nurse looks up as the tall man enters, and takes note of his rough looks over his mattted hair and dark eyes. The leather jacket and chaps was enough to make her leery, as was his two-day unshaven face. "Can I help you?"

"Um, yeah. I'm looking for Ryan McKade."

"One moment, please." The nurse turns around, but instead of looking up records, she picks up the phone, dialing a different nurses station near the room where Ryan was. "Yes, please let me speak with Dr. Fuller." She glances over her shoulder until she hears Amanda's voice. "Yes," she responds quietly. "There's a suspicious looking man here to see Ryan. I thought it best if you spoke with him before I told him where the room was."

Eli leans on the counter and picks up a pen to fidget with. He wasn't sure about the hushed tone of the nurse that he heard. but opted not to react.

Right around the corner, Leo is just returning after talking to Axel about the phone number he'd called for Ryan's brother. Hearing this newcomer ask about Ryan, Leo was a bit skeptical. This guy looked like someone from the street races, but he'd never seen him before. "Excuse me... are you looking for Ryan?"

Eli turns, an eyebrow quirked. "Yeah."

"And you are?"

"Elijah McKade, Ryan's brother. And you?"

Leo's eyes narrow. "Finally decided to show up huh?"

Eli frowns. "Now what's that supposed to mean?"

"You were called days ago! And you only come now?!"

"Well excuse me! Who are you? You the one who called me?"

"No. But you got some timing, you know that?"

"Cool it, man. All I want is to see my sister."

Leo grits his teeth. "Then you better hurry up."

Eli's pulse quickens. "Is she bad?"

"Yeah. No thanks to you taking your time."

Eli was getting fed up. "Look, punk, I don't need your-" He stops as he sees the woman doctor appear. "Hey I'm here to see Ryan McKade. I-"

"Need to do more than see her," Leo retorts.

"Who is this guy?" Eli asks in annoyance. "I'm just here to see my sister. I been on the road for three days and it's been on awful trip so just cut the crap and somebody tell me what's going on."

No comments: