10/26/09

Just drive

"Forget it!"

"Jade, don't you-"

"I'll be back later."

"Jade, get back here this instant!"

Jade continues her stomp towards Dan's truck, ignoring her father's tone of warning. Getting to the truck, she yanks open the door and slips inside, shutting the door just a little hard. Grabbing the seatbelt, she leans forward, trying to hide her tears. "Just drive," she mumbles.

Mick slams a fist into the doorframe of the barn. "Gah!" Knowing some of his brothers were around, he bites his lip and tries to return to work without making any more of a scene.


"Yeah, okay." Though a bit of disappointment shows in Ryder's eyes, he manages a smile. "I'm sorry." He squeezes her hand. "Let's go home. I better get myself cleaned up anyway." He stuffs the business card in his back pocket and leads the way back to the car.

It's a quiet ride, but once they get back to the house, the answering machine has caught a call, and Reese's voice is echoing through the living room. "...er you better have a good explanation, 'cause I do not like what I just saw on the television. I want you in my office because we need to talk." Click.

Ryder's eyes are wide and he goes right for the remote. Plastered on the screen is a news reporter with pictures from the earlier fiasco at the zoo. However, it wasn't the crocodile that was being broadcast at the moment. Rather, it was a humorous angle to a girlfriend getting scared by her boyfriend's stupid stunts.

"Well..." Ryder clears his throat as he sees a picture of him and Thirteen hugging. "I guess the jig's up." He turns to look at Thirteen. He had no idea if he'd be an Elite agent an hour from now.

No comments: