10/9/09

I don't know

Gunner traces a mark on the table with his thumbnail, his eyes drifting down as Hope talks. He didn't like being here... he didn't like being put in the same category as some of the other patients here. But... maybe he really did have a problem.

Hearing Hope's offer to talk to someone about another room, his head snaps up. "Um... thanks."

His eyes follow her until Bree breaks into his thoughts. "Nah..." He shakes his head. "Don't be sorry. You said what I was thinking anyway. Hope's a good person... I've seen her help someone who shoulda been put in the loony bin for good and he pulled through. I guess I've had my fill of counselors in my life so I wind up giving her a hard time."

Gunner's knee starts bouncing again without him realizing it. "I don't know why I'm here, Bree. I don't get why I can't do with my own life like I want or why anybody else even cares." He shrugs. "I know I got a few friends or whatever but... I don't know. I wish I could have just ended it all like I wanted to."

Turning to look at her, he purses his lips. "You realize I hate you being in on all this and seeing me in this state. I don't think I've ever felt more humiliated. Not your fault, I just..."

A wry chuckle escapes and he shakes his head again. "I don't even know what I'm saying. Let's finish this puzzle before Hope gets back."


Jade is laughing so hard that she has to cover her mouth so she doesn't spit her food out at the lunch table. Jason is laughing too at something he'd said, and he looks to Katie, his eye twinkling.

Been too long since we had a good laugh together.

Slinging an arm around her shoulders, he gives her a kiss on the cheek.

Jade gasps for breath, and elbows Dan. "Don't look now, they're kissing again."

"It was just a peck on the cheek!" Jason defends.

"Uh-huh. I want to know what you said in between."

"How do you know I said anything?"

Jade giggles. "I guessed?" She looks at Dan again."You realize there's no way to beat those two at anything. I think we need a plan."


As lunch proceeds, the front door slowly opens. Jeff looks cautiously inside, his face pale, and one arm was held around himself, but he'd dragged himself from the bunkhouse.

Rick is eating his soup next to Luke and Angel when he looks up to see Jeff. "My word!" On his feet in an instant, he goes immediately to Jeff's side. "You shouldn't be here! You shouldn't even be out of bed."

"I just wanted some fresh air." Jeff's eyes are tired and sunken in, but there is a small spark. Glancing around the room, he knows that everyone knows now about him and Katie. But he really wasn't all that hesitant... he was more glad the truth was finally out.

His gaze finds Katie, and a small smile forms.

"Well sit down," Rick prompts, "before you fall down. Here." He pulls out a chair.

Jeff shakes his head. "I want to go sit with Katie."

"But-"

Jeff gives him a short glare. "I walked all the way out here, I can walk across the room."

No comments: