9/28/09

Tomorrow instead

Gunner accepts the towel numbly, remaining quiet, even as he's ushered into the kitchen. Sitting down, he just stares at the table for the longest time. He focuses on the cup of tea, his hair dripping down onto the table, creating mini puddles that reflect the kitchen light. He didn't even seem to hear Hope speaking.

Still shivering a little, he gradually dries his face a little with the towel and wraps his hands around the teacup to warm his palms. He stares down into the liquid, completely lost in another world.

He still refuses to look up and meet Hope's gaze. Though finally, he takes a small sip of tea, but withdraws quickly as it's still too hot. "I could burn my mouth a thousand times and still have a debt to pay. I've sought my past for over half my life. And all to come to the truth... that the ghost has been me all along. A murderer hidden behind the mirror." He didn't want to speak of it, but somehow it felt as if he had to. "It was my fault...an accident 'cause of an argument I can't even remember. But it was my fault."

Gunner grits his teeth against his feelings. He understood Hope's analogy, but his depression was too deep to apply it. "At least if I'da found a real bridge, I could have jumped." He braves another sip of tea. "Maybe that's for tomorrow instead."


Jeff slides his hand from under the blanket to find Katie's hand. "I just... thought I was alone. I felt... but I didn't feet. It's not right... but... it is."

He licks his dry lips. "I don't understand... am I okay again?"

No comments: