9/6/09

Keep an eye on him

The night at the concert goes well. Despite a rough start, all the pieces fall into place by the time Jason, Mike and Phil take the stage. Axel is present to help Jen run sound, though hadn't been able to help much with setting up. Rocky is there too, and even Taylor came about halfway through.

Jason's performance is as good as ever, the crowd loving him. Only to those closest to him would it be obvious that he had slipped on a mask that he is so very good at doing. He smiled like always, joked with Phil and his voice rang true and clear. By the time the concert was coming to a close, the crowd was disappointed it was over already. But the band promised they'd be playing again soon.

Once the audience is starting to file out, JetStream starts taking things down. Jason wanders backstage for a few minutes to catch his breath. He sets his guitar down and grabs a new water bottle to take a good long drink. With the band milling around, starting to pack up, he didn't think much of feeling someone behind him.

"You still sound good."

Jason almost spits out his water before he whirls around. He can't help the look of shock that crosses his face. "Camryn?"

A smile slowly spreads. Her eyes still sparkle with the same energy she used to have, but something is different. Perhaps she was just a little more subdued. "Hey, Hotshot."

Jason isn't even sure what to say or how he's supposed to react. He keeps a hold on his water bottle, so his hands remain busy. "What, um... what are you doing here? I mean... I didn't know you were in town."

"I just got in last night," Camryn admits. She tucks her hands in her jeans pockets. "Heard JetStream had a show, so... I guess I couldn't resist."

"Wow." Jason tries to get over his surprise. Mixed emotions surface. "This is um..."

"Awkward, I know." Camryn gives a light laugh. "I'm sorry. But I didn't think it would be right for me to come without at least saying hi."

Jason finally offers her a small smile. "Naw, it's okay. I mean... yeah, this is awkward." He runs a hand through his hair a bit nervously. "You, um... you look good."

"Well, thanks." Camryn looks down at herself for a moment, then back up. Her hair wasn't quite as wild... her clothes weren't quite as rebellious. She stood a little straighter, her demeanor perhaps a little more mature. "You look good yourself." She cocks her head, just studying his eyes. "You've changed."

Jason laughs. "After two minutes, you know that?"

"You think I would have forgotten you?" Camryn shakes her head slowly. "No, Jason Stevenson, maybe I made some mistakes, but I still remember you... and I'd say you're a bit more wise."

Jason swallows hard and looks down for a moment before coming back up to meet her eyes. "Looks like you are too."

Camryn is quiet for several seconds, the noise of other people invading their halfway-private conversation. "You gonna be free sometime tomorrow?"

Jason quirks an eyebrow. "Depends on what I'd be free for."

Camryn laughs. "I just thought maybe we could sit and talk or something. Maybe over a cup of coffee. Or are you still into orange juice?"

Jason can't help a little laugh of his own. "It's about half and half now I'd say. Um..." His mind races. What did Camryn want? She didn't appear to want anything more than a friendly chat. There wasn't anything wrong with that, was there? Though there was nothing between them now, he couldn't ignore how close they'd been at one time. He at least owed her the chance to say whatever it was she wanted to say. The thought of Katie crosses his mind. She'd understand, wouldn't she?

Camryn reads his hesitation, and grows a little more solemn. "I just feel like there's a few things I need to say... I know it's been a long time, but... I just thought... I could use a few minutes one-on-one... if it's okay with you. I... I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

Jason fidgets with his water bottle. He wasn't sure he'd ever seen her so subdued. He was uncomfortable... but something made him want to go anyway. His eyes leave her for a moment to glance back out to the floor where he could see people like Nate and Con. He wondered if they knew Camryn was here. Even if they did, what did it matter? "Okay. How about lunch tomorrow? I'll have an hour."

Camryn grins. "Where?"

"Um..." Mom and Pop's was the first thing that came to mind but... maybe that wasn't such a good idea. "There's that little cafe down by the strip mall... I can't remember what it's called."

"I know the place." Camryn nods. "I'll be there... noon?"

"Yeah." Jason's gaze follows her as she walks away, and for a moment is left standing numbly.


Carson wanders into the infirmary, knocking on the door. He'd come after closing up Mom and Pop's a little early to see Misty and follow her back to her place for the evening. Seeing Rick he gives a wave. "Hey, Rick."

"Carson."

"How's it going?"

Rick shrugs. "Oh... it's going."

Carson chuckles and glances down to where Misty was, throwing her a smile to let her know he'd wait for her. He turns his attention back to Rick. "I haven't heard much about your... shall we say, Agency wards."

"You mean Alec and Gage?"

Carson nods.

Rick sighs. "Well, Alec seems to have calmed down a little bit, but he reminds me too much of you." He smirks. "I'm not sure what it'll take to straighten out that attitude, but they're not sending him to jail."

Carson moves on quickly, not really wanting to talk about his brother. "And Gage?"

"Mmm..." Rick thinks a moment. "Quiet. Especially the last few days. He hasn't even wanted to go out with Sapphire anymore, though I know she's tried. He just seems withdrawn all of a sudden.... not sure why. Reese just thinks he's starting to want to go back, but I don't think that's it."

"Has Alec gotten to him?"

"No... they've been separated this whole time. I think Reese has found a secure place for Gage though, but I don't know about Alec."

Carson thinks a moment, solemn as he's been distracted from waiting for Misty. "Rick... keep a close eye on Gage."

Rick quirks an eyebrow. "Well he's got freedom around here at the moment. I mean, so far he's been fine and-"

"That's not what I mean. Remember right after I came here?" Carson looks at him with seriousness. "When I realized I was so messed up? Gage has been taught that helping kill people was fine. Now he's here where he's learned it's not. What do you think that's doing to him up here?" He taps his head.

Rick is quiet for a moment. "You think... he'd be that desperate to hurt himself?"

"I don't know. But if he's gotten that withdrawn all of a sudden... I wouldn't take it too lightly. Just keep an eye on him. You might want Hope to come back and see him. And you might want to tell Sapphire to be watchful too."


"That's it? You can't go any further?"

Scott shakes his head as he looks at the computer screen, Gunner staring over his shoulder. "No. It's password protected."

"You can't hack around it?"

"I've already hacked more than I should have!" Scott disconnects, and the screen goes blank. "We both could lose our jobs just from the little bit we did here - you know that."

Gunner sighs and folds his arms. "Yeah... I know. I just thought this would be easier."

"Than what?"

"Nothing." Gunner turns around, aiming for the door. "I'll let ya be. See you at work."

"Yeah..." Scott watches him leave, then shakes his head. Why did Gunner want access to someone's hospital records from six months ago? It seemed odd. Oh well... he'd done what he could without breaking too many rules. But if Gunner wanted any more, he'd have to go through the right channels.

Wandering over to the couch, Scott flops down, quickly joined by Domino. It would be a quiet night. Those were the hardest. But he would survive like he always did.


Gage sits curled up in the corner of the spare room on top of the bed. His head rests against the wall, his arms wrapped around his legs. If one would see him, they would believe his mind was a thousand miles away. Maybe it was.

No comments: