9/3/09

Ended call

Mick gives a little smirk at Dan. "Little hasty there, aren't we?" A teasing tone laces his question at how fast Dan had apparently wanted Katie along.

He looks to Katie and gives her a wink. "I'd never say no to you, you know that. Come on."

Checking the saddle girth one more time, Mick swings up onto his mount's back, aiming her for the trail that would lead to the north pasture, far enough away that they couldn't see it from here.

Staying at an easy pace, Mick lets the mare walk, taking the lead. The trail winds off into the woods for a while and they cross a shallow brook, continuing their route.

Once they finally reach their destination, Mick dismounts, surveying the area of fence that needed to be fixed. "Katie, why don't you help me here a bit... Dan, would you ride down a ways and check to make sure the horses didn't tear apart the work we did a few days ago?"


Jason hobbles back into his office on crutches, flopping back down in his chair. He groans as he sees more paperwork from Reese. Before diving in though, he happens to check his phone, surprised there is a voicemail waiting.

Hearing Katie's brief message, he leans back in his seat. That had been... short. Her voice had sounded... strained? Stressed? Tired? Or was it just his imagination? It seemed the kind of message that maybe she just felt she should make, rather than really wanting to. After all, it was a rarity for her to miss a concert. Had she just felt it her job to mention it? Or had she really wanted to talk to him? He couldn't tell.

So should he call her back? He starts to dial. Surely she was busy doing something around the ranch. He wouldn't want to interrupt her, and what if he'd read her wrong? What if the message really was just meant to be brief and was a hint that she didn't want any conversation?

Looking down, Jason realizes the call has connected and it's ringing. He shuts his phone quickly, tossing it back on his desk with a growl. If Katie wanted to talk, she'd let him know... right?


Gunner quirks an eyebrow, his mouth remaining solemn. "I'll stay, but only if you keep the fee out of the coffee. I'd rather end up with a cough than have to pay for it."

JT rolls his eyes. "How I ended up in the middle of this, I don't know. Brent, you're more than welcome to stay and eat with us, if you like. Apparently my niece isn't going to wait."

"Call me Gunner and..." He finally lets a smile slip. "Pizza sounds good, but I don't want to intrude."

"Nah." JT waves him off. "A little company never hurt anybody. Besides, I want to hear what you have to say."

"Alright." Gunner shrugs, accepting the offer.

JT steps away to dial the pizza place finally, putting in the order for a pizza with mixed veggies, sausage and canadian bacon. "Oh and only use dough on half... yeah, half.... well I don't care how you get it done, we only want crust on half the pizza..."

Listening to one side of the conversation, Gunner shakes his head and ambles into the kitchen where Bree was. "Must run in the family eh?" He leans against the counter, watching her make the coffee. His badge was hooked to his belt, but he wore no sidearm. "I see you and your uncle spend a lot of time together. You're close?"


"I don't think traveling is wise." Rick tries to keep Jeff from leaving the TJY building, but Jeff keeps walking to the exit, slowly, but with determination.

"Look, I'll get on a plane. The whole trip will only last a couple hours then I'll be back at the ranch, safe and sound."

"You're not safe or sound," Rick retorts. "If you stay here, I can keep doing research."

Jeff stops at the door, turning around. "Would you rather die here or where your home is?"

Rick swallows hard, his shoulders drooping. "Alright... I'm... I'm sorry, Jeff. I'll keep looking for an answer."

"Don't apologize." Jeff shrugs. "It's just... life."

"You've got the medication?"

"Yeah, it'll last me a while." Jeff pats his pocket. "I'll see Angel too so... I'm sure she'll be in touch with you too."

No comments: