7/13/09

Lost cause

"Scared?" Alec blows something close to a raspberry as he waves off Ryan. "If I's sc-scared, I woulda j'mped out soon'r."

Continuing to trudge down the shoulder of the road, he stops at her offer. Looking back at her, he suddenly gets the strangest most sorrowful look in his eye, like that of a whipped puppy. Just as quickly though, it's gone.

"And... where would you take me?" He throws his arms in the air. "Whatcha see is what I...I got, lady. You take me back into town an' dr'p me off where? I dnn't live here ya know... I dn't live... anywh're 'cept... not ev'n th'r anymore."

He shakes his head. "I am what you call a l'st cause."


Hearing the siren, even Ryder jumps a little bit, but his attention is quickly diverted away from himself, and to Thirteen instead. "Hey, hey, it's okay, it's just an ambulance." Three quick strides and he's back at her side, taking her arm gently, but firmly to pry her away from the car. He couldn't go back now... he was here and he wasn't driving all the way back to TJY. Not this time. "Come on... it's a safe place unless you give me a heart attack or something, then they'll have to bring out a stretcher and take me in there and keep me, and you know I don't get along with nurses... well... unless they're pretty redheads."

His eyes dance with the humor he was trying to convey as he nods towards the door. "You coming with me?"

No comments: