6/6/09

A chance?

Scott obeys the promptings, and manages to get back to the bed, easing down and closing his eyes, utterly exhausted. Even so, he doesn't like Rick's poking and prodding, and winds up resisting the IV.

Rick sighs, having everything in hand. "Scott, come on."

"I don't need it," Scott mumbles. He felt bad enough the way it was, not being able to cope. He felt even weaker, needing something like this.

Rick leans down and waits until Scott opens his eye to look at him. "Did you eat anything all day yesterday?"

Scott thinks. It was hard to remember. He shrugs.

"Did you drink anything?"

He shrugs again.

"And you just threw up anything you had left, and more. If you're not going to take care of yourself, then someone has to. Now stop giving me a hard time."

Scott finally just closes his eye again and lets Rick stick his arm. He winces just a little. Rolling back over onto his side, he hasn't forgotten what Hope said earlier. Though it had been several minutes, he picks up where she'd left off, mumbling his response. "Sure... if I'm not behind bars."


Hunter lifts an eyebrow in surprise and speaks before thinking. "Kyle's your best friend and you haven't told him this?" He was even more surprised that if that were true, Alice has confided in him.

He stops and shakes his head. "Sorry. I can see it's been difficult... can't say I woulda done differently."

Slipping his hand back into his pocket again, he thinks for just a moment. "He sees you as a sister, huh?" He shrugs. "Maybe I really did read him wrong."

Turning his head back to Alice, his warm smile returns. "Oh, Alice... it's not a question of whether or not you know how to play the game. It's whether or not you want to. But you're the only one who knows if you're ready. Moving on can be hard... but something tells me you're strong enough to do it."

For a long moment, he just studies her, watching the moonlight dance in and out of her gaze. "You have beautiful eyes," he whispers. He knew Alice didn't know if she could really move on or not... he knew she was struggling with the feelings of the past. But he could see the longing in her eyes. He could see that she was missing what she once had... affection... partnership... a relationship deeper than friends... someone to lean on... someone to share everything with... ultimately, love.

A part of his logic warned him not to step too closely, but he had to know if his attentions would be accepted or turned away. His voice is still kept low and quiet. Unassuming and not pushy in the least. It was only a tone full of care for how she felt, and a simple request for his own peace of mind.

"If I don't have a chance, just tell me now before I get too far, and I'll back off." He continues to search her eyes. "But if there's any glimmer of hope... I won't give up." His small grin returns. "It's not my nature."


Ty continues to struggle, but is far from a match for Carson. Getting shoved towards the table, he runs into a chair, then whirls around to glare at both me. "What is this about?!"

"I think you know." Carson tone is stern, his stare an icy one. "Sit down."

"I don't want to."

"I said sit!" Carson gives him a hefty push, forcing him down into the chair.

"What is with you two?! I didn't do anything!"

Carson stands on the other side of the table, taking up position beside Nate. "Apparently, you did." He points to a folder that he'd had waiting in here. "Who did you let into the building, Ty?"

Ty visibly recoils, now realizing what Nate and Carson wanted. "I... I don't know what you're talking about."

"You're lying!" Carson throws his arms in the air. "I don't get it, Ty! You've been fine, as far as I know, up until this point!" His eyes were bloodshot, proving that his exhaustion wasn't helping his stress level any. "Now tell me who you let into TJY yesterday."

"I didn't let anyone in!"

"You did too! We have proof!" Carson picks up the folder and slaps it back down again. Still standing, he look down at the younger man. "Why did you use Katie's security code?"

Something flickers in Ty's eyes. "Katie's?"

"Quit playing games." Carson rolls his eyes. "Don't play stupid. Did you think we wouldn't be able to figure it out if you used her code or what?"

"I... I didn't know I used her code."

"So you admit you opened the door."

"I..." Ty clamps his mouth shut again, his eyes falling.

Carson slams his fist on the table. "Talk to us, Ty! I'm tired and I'm cranky, and you do not want to make me mad at this point."

Ty looks back up, glancing between Carson and Nate. "I honestly didn't know I used Katie's code."

"Well what did you think you were using?"

"I don't know."

Carson growls and turns around to pace, trying to keep his temper down. "Okay. Just tell me how you opened the door then."

Ty licks his dry lips. "Well, I... I figured out the key pattern."

"The what?"

"The pattern. See, I've got my own security code, and I know what Hal's is. I figured out the mathematical equation for the numbers that would exist between his code and mine, based on the number sequence. I could go a little further either direction too, but eventually, I'd run out because there's only so many people working here."

Carson blinks. He looks to Nate, totally baffled. "You mean to tell me that there's a pattern with the codes?"

"Sure." Ty shrugs. "There's always a pattern somewhere if you look hard enough."

Carson rubs his forehead, trying to straighten all of this out. "Ty, this is impossible."

"No it's not." Ty leans forward, apparently knowing what he was talking about. "I asked Susanne how many people had been hired between Hal and myself. I took Hal's number and worked with it until I had as many increments as there were agents before I reached my own number. See, each time an agent gains a new security code, the computer generates it. It adds three to the second number, subtracts two from the fifth, divides by the number of..."

"Alright, alright!" Carson holds up his hand. "I believe you. Good grief. How long did it take you to figure that out?"

Ty shrugs again. "I don't know. Couple days?"

"And you're just a janitor?" Carson rolls his eyes. "Never mind. So you figured you'd just use someone else's code, not caring whose it was. Now... who did you let in?"

Ty's hesitance returns. "I... I don't know his name."

"Don't give me that."

"It's true! I don't know his name. He just came to me and..."

"When?"

"A while ago. Right after Scott came back. He told me that Scott was a traitor, but they couldn't prove it."

"They? Who is they?"

Ty looks down again.

"Talk to me, Ty!"

"Austin."

"Of all the..." Carson bites his tongue. "That man has caused more trouble than anyone I know, and he still claims to be on our side." He shakes his head. "So he was the guy with Austin when Scott was interrogated right after he was brought back?"

Ty nods. "I think so."

"Go on."

"Well, he stopped me, and said Scott was a traitor. He said he knew it because he had a signed agreement between him and the Agency, saying that he would work for them for a hundred thousand dollars a year. All he needed was another layer of proof, like if Scott talked or something."

"So when I started finding out he had information, you called this guy."

"Yeah." Ty's shoulders droop. "I didn't know he was going to beat on Scott... honest, I didn't."

"Well he did," Carson retorts harshly. "You said this guy had a signed agreement? Did he show it to you?"

Ty nods. "Why else would I have believed him? I didn't think Scott would be a traitor, but he showed me the paper, so I had to believe it."

Carson gives Nate a sidelong glance before reaching for his folder. He finds a piece of paper with a lot of text on it. He holds the folder right so Ty can't see him taking a pen scribbling something at the bottom. Shutting the folder, he holds up the paper. "The Agency sometimes collects agents signatures for various reasons. I was given this just a bit ago as evidence." His tone indicates that whatever it was, agreed with what Ty was talking about. "It's just a copy, but is this what you were shown?"

Ty squints as Carson flips the page over. There were a lot of words. A signature was at the bottom. He glances up to Carson's eyes, then to Nate's to judge whether or not it was safe to agree. He took the chance. "Yeah... yeah, that's it." He nods with surety.

Carson shakes his head slowly and puts the paper back down. "Ty... I just showed you a printout that Sapphire gave me on your activity during the last day. I just made that signature myself."

Ty's face pales. "That wasn't fair! You tricked me!"

"And you think I'm the only one?"

Ty sinks further down in his seat, his head lowering to a pitiful state. "The agreement wasn't real, was it?"

"What do you think?"

Ty manages to lift is eyes a little. "I... I don't know."

"Whoever it was knew you couldn't read, Ty. The only reason the Agency would ever want a signed paper would just be so they could verify their own agents activity if they double-crossed them. They aren't stupid enough to have agreements that say the agents will work for them."

Ty couldn't feel any lower. "You mean... it was all a trick?"

"I'm afraid so."

"And I was stupid enough to fall for it."

"Pretty much." Carson picks up his folder. "You'll probably be placed on suspension for overriding security codes and for letting someone inside while we were in lockdown. As far as your own conscience, you'll have to deal with that yourself. We still haven't figure out if Scott is really a traitor or not - but either way, you didn't make the right move." He looks to Nate. "Unless you think we nee more, I believe we're done here."

Ty stares down at the table, hating himself. The guy had been wanting to protect TJY, he'd said... just wanted to talk to Scott to prevent him from doing damage... just wanted to keep security tight and ensure safety... And Ty had been so gullible. Whether Scott was guilty or not, it was Ty's fault that he'd been beaten to a pulp, and that wasn't a good feeling.


Jason plants his feet on the ground, but stays seated on his motorcycle. His eyes roam the dark building. A lit window proved someone was there. Strange.

He takes off his helmet and runs a hand through his hair. It was late. He was surprised to see someone else was here at all. He was surprised he was here. But something had led him... something had pushed him.

Finally dismounting, Jason pulls off his keys. After locking his helmet to his bike, he wanders towards the double doors. Taking a glance over his shoulder, he feels as though he's being watched. But it wasn't the feeling of danger. Though unable to see anyone on the dark street, his sixth sense kicks in, and he thinks he knows. For now, he lets it remain as such. Hesitating, he finally turns back around tests the handle on the door. It was open. Even if someone was here this late, it was still odd that the door would be unlocked. But at the moment, he wouldn't question it.

Con watches as Jason parks and heads to the building. He was hidden from view in the alleyway down the street. But when he sees Jason turn around, he can't help a small smile. Jason had radar like a watchdog. "Yeah, Hotshot, I'm here."

No comments: