3/20/09

All over

Carson doesn't move, still trying to get his own mind to wrap around this whole mess. But finally giving in, he pulls Misty a little closer, giving her a hug and just holding her for a moment, wanting to know everything was okay. He didn't often feel weak... but this was one of those rare times.

Pulling away, he shakes his head and leans back against the counter. "No... no, it's different than that. And yeah, there was no reason for me to believe there were lies here. The names and dates were right, and they had written word that I'm the father."

He sighs, folding his arms across his chest. "June... that was the mother... she died about a year ago. The social worker said that the girl has been looking for her real father and won't give up. Apparently she's been quite the handful with the silly notion. So... the social worker wants to bring her here... too meet me. And then... when Mackenzie finds out that I'm not the fairytale father she envisioned, she'll give up the whole idea and go home again."

Carson pauses, his thumbnail finding a notch in the surface of the counter. "She's got a family that wants to adopt her, so... I guess the social worker is right. I mean... I certainly can't take her on, let alone claim her after all these years." He tries to talk himself out of any other avenues. "It would be ridiculous, not to mention, I don't need a kid hanging on me. I don't like it that the social worker judged me, but... she's right. I'm not the type, and apparently the agency is satisfied with giving Mackenzie a stable home with two parents. Obviously that's the right choice."

He gives a nod, then looks back to Misty. "And then... then it will all be over."

No comments: