2/18/09

Hot one

Seeing Nate approach her cubicle, Laura tenses just a little. She knew she'd hurt his feelings, and she just felt horrible. Would he be upset with her?

The thought had been a silly one. Seeing the coffee and then the rose, Laura feels a part of her melt all over again. Looking at them, her gaze falls downward and she feels the kiss to her head. Looking up as Nate walks away, she just watches him as he goes to his own desk. She puts the rose to her face to feel the soft petals and smell the rich scent. "Oh, Nate," she whispers. "What am I supposed to do with you?"

Turning around, she gives a little sigh, but a slight smile is at the corner of her mouth. She still felt in limbo... but knowing he was willing to wait for an answer made it just a bit more bearable.


Kyle's shoulders drop. "You mean he won't be at the concert tomorrow night?"

"No. He and Katie are both on a case."

Kyle sighs and leans back against the wall, standing behind the keyboard in Mike's basement. Another morning practice. Except today it was just the Mitts and Mike. "So now what?"

Phil shrugs. "Jase said to be sure you knew he wasn't mad at you, and it was up to us to decide what to do. Far as I'm concerned, you can sing lead like you have for us any other time he's been out."

"I don't think that's such a good idea."

"You sang lead the whole time Jason was in prison," Mike reminds.

Kyle rolls his eyes. "That was before I was the big bad wolf."

"Nobody says that," Jen chides. "You did a good job before. You've always been a good singer. Now we just know that you're even more than that. You're a great singer and we just didn't realize it. So why not use your talent for the concert? What's the big deal?"

Kyle sits back down at the keyboard, his eyes lowered. "I'll have Cryptic the next night. That's too much."

Phil frowns. "So you'd choose them over us?"

"That's not it! Why don't you sing? You've got a voice."

Phil smirks. "Yeah. I know I can sing. And I'm fair. A month ago, I woulda said I was as good as you, so who cared who sang. But now I know that you're the one with the real vocal talent here. You want me to sing, I will, but the audience would rather have you."

"Great." Kyle runs a finger over the keys in front of him. "Everything is on my shoulders then."

Phil sighs. "Look, fine. If you don't want to be a part of the team and fill in while Jason's gone, so be it. But I thought that's what we were - a team."

"Alright, I'll do it." Kyle looks up at his brother. "But it's my last night."

Jen's eyes widen. "What do you mean?"

"I... I'm quitting the band."

Mike and Phil join in the shocked expressions. Phil blinks. "You're what?"

"Quitting." Kyle crosses his arms. "This is my last concert with JetStream, and the one with Cryptic is my last with them too."

"But, Kyle," Jen begs, "Why? This isn't anything we can't work through."

"Kinda hard to be in a band when I'm not here anymore." Kyle shakes his head tiredly. "Look, I've been invited to join Break Out and I'm going to. We pull out next week."

Tears fill Jen's eyes. "You're going to leave? For how long?"

Kyle shrugs. "The tour lasts a year. After that, who knows."

"So this is it." Phil was still stunned. "What... what happens to JetStream?"

"You can survive without me." Kyle rolls his eyes. "I don't add all that much anyway. You got Jason - he's what the crowd likes. You can be backup vocals, and if you really want a keyboardist, hit Rocky up. But... I've made up my mind."

Mike swallows hard. "So... you're not joining Cryptic then either."

"No. I have yet to tell them that."

"What will they do?"

Kyle shrugs. "I don't know. I don't think Rocky wants to sing lead. They might have Taylor sing for a while - it would be a different feel. Logan wants to but can't. Axel doesn't want to. Max can't sing all that well, and Joel isn't cut out for it. So... I don't know."

Phil looks down for a minute. "Guess you're a pretty big piece to both these bands, huh?"

Kyle doesn't answer him. Instead, he grabs some sheets of music. "If I'm singing tomorrow night, I need to figure out what songs we'll be doing. What should the lineup be?"


The delivery man opens the glass door and slips inside, scanning the package in his hand. Approaching the front desk, he purses his lips and nods. "I got something for Jem Ferchin." Rocky glances to Jess, humor in his eye. "She doesn't happen to be free for a signature and lunch, does she?"


Jason grins and brings Katie's hand to his lips to kiss it lightly. A kick to the seat makes him turn around and look at Carson in question. Carson just quirks an eyebrow at him, his eyes glinting with mischief. "Settle down up there, Hotshot."

Jason smirks and rolls his eyes, looking to Katie. "As if he's one to talk."

Carson laughs and settles back in his seat, pulling his ballcap down over his eyes. "Alright, now you can go ahead. I'm not watching."

Jason grins and leans over to give Katie a kiss on the lips.

If only he knew we were breaking the rule about not letting him hear everything that was said.

"Hey," Carson growls. "Shut up."

Jason withdraws from Katie, laughing. "Quit eavesdropping."

"I'm not." Carson keeps his eyes hidden beneath the brim of his hat. "If I was, I'd probably haul off and kick your seat again. But I'm being nice and not listening."

"Idiot."

"Hothead."

"Grouch."

"Numskull."

Jason opens his mouth to throw out another name, but a sudden jolt to the plane cuts him off as they run into turbulence.

Carson lifts his head to look around. "Well now. This is going to be fun..."


...The airport is a mass of moving bodies, all heading their own directions all at once. People talking everywhere. Intercom announcements. The sounds of planes taking off and landing.

Jason keeps a firm grip on Katie's hand, making sure he didn't lose her in the crowd. It fit - the three of them were supposed to be roommates on vacation. He looks to Carson, who nods toward the side where they could go downstairs and collect their bags.

Once retrieving their luggage, the three head toward the front of the airport. "So who are we looking for?" Jason asks.

"Don't know what he looks like," Carson admits. "But if he's any good, he'll find us."

As if on cue, a lanky blonde approaches them, looking out from under a straw cowboy hat. He holds out a hand to offer a handshake. "G'day, mate," he greets Carson. "You three look like you're just a little bit lost. How about a tour guide to get you going in the right direction?"

Carson grins and accepts the friendly gesture. "Ryder?"

"Carson?"

"And Jason and Katie," Carson introduces. "We're relying on you from here on out."

"No worries." Ryder smiles, his eyes shining. "Follow me. It's a hot one out here today."

No comments: