2/22/09

Blame

Ryder’s eyes narrow slightly, and he keeps his voice down, though it’s strained. “Look, nobody scares me away. But I know when I’m not wanted or needed. As for blowing our cover, if you think I’m that stupid, then I probably shouldn’t be out here at all.”

His eyes stare into Katie’s for a long moment. The teasing from last night wanted to come out again, but it was held back.

“I’ll go check the trail below. You three take your time.” Sliding back out of sight from below the cliff, he gets to his feet, slinging his backpack over his shoulder and aiming back down the trail.

Carson grunts his disapproval, but doesn’t stop him. He blamed himself. He’d been stupid. He shouldn’t have said what he had. But now he had to concentrate on the mission, not Ryder.


Scott gives Hope another small nod. “Alright… but… no… don’t give me a week.” He looks back up at her again. “I’ll only talk myself out of it. I’ll… I’ll go because I want to… because… I know I need to. Just… can we do it maybe like tomorrow?”

No comments: