1/29/09

Maybe

Rocky hesitates just a moment, then relents and takes off his jacket, hanging it up. Ambling to the living room, he looks around at some of Jess' things, getting to know her personality through her decor.

Hearing Jess' offer of something to drink, he hollers back to her. "Um... just water. I've had enough caffeine to keep me up for three nights."

Wandering to the shelf of movies as directed, he runs his fingers along the titles, looking for something to watch, and trying to get an idea of what Jess' tastes are. Landing on a comedy, he pulls it out, a grin forming. "After this harry evening, I think we could use a good laugh," he comments wryly.

While Jess is still in the kitchen, Rocky takes the initiative to figure out the DVD player and pop in the disc. Moving back, he eases down at one end of the couch, looking around for the remote and finally finding it. Picking it up, he looks at the buttons for a moment, figuring out how to get everything running.

His ears perk up to the sound of Jess moving around in the kitchen. "Okay... there's nothing like the sound of a rustling bag of chips," he comments loudly. "How'd you know I have a weakness for things salty and crunchy?"

A grin spreads on his lips as he waits for her to join him.


Austin watches Angel as she speaks, a strange tension evident on his face. He wasn't upset with her... not even close. He could never be upset with her.

At her mention of him not being in contact with her, his eyes finally drop, guilt creeping up on him again. She had been his friend for a long time... a whole world of events had passed between them. It was hard to believe how much they'd lived through. And yet, he'd pulled away... again.

Standing up, Austin paces for a moment, seeming unsettled. Turning around at Angel's coughing, a look of genuine worry crosses his face until she's quieted down again. Folding his arms across his chest, he looks down at her, taking deep breath and letting it out slowly.

"Well, I don't know what you've heard," he finally responds quietly. "But I'm doing my best. I know feelings have been hurt, and toes have gotten stepped on. But sometimes that's the only way to do things, and to run a place like the Elite efficiently. Maybe no one else sees where I'm coming from - but they're gonna have to trust me. As for seeing what I do..."

He gives a little shrug. "I took over for Carter. I keep things going here. Not a whole lot to see."


Phil steps into the dark apartment, hearing music coming from the living room. After tossing his keys on the table, he enters, finding the stereo going, and Kyle sacked out, face down on the couch. Sighing, he goes to him, sitting on an empty cushion. "Kyle?" Not getting a response, he picks up the stereo remote to turn it off. "Kyle?" He gives his brothers leg a light whack. "Come on. I want to talk to you."

Kyle had known as soon as Phil had walked in the door, but had hoped that he wouldn't have to talk to him. It was inevitable though.

Pushing himself up, he swings his legs over and sits up a bit wearily, his eyes remaining down. "What?"

Phil takes a moment. "Look... I'm sorry I reacted the way I did earlier. I don't want to let this go - us being at odds."

Kyle shrugs lamely. "It was all my fault. I shouldn't have kept the whole thing a secret. I just... I didn't want anybody's feelings to get hurt, or make a big deal out of the whole thing." He gives a short, dry laugh. "Though I did all of that anyway."

Phil grins a little. "I guess I can see your reasoning... now that I've thought it through. We were all just... surprised. Proud though."

Kyle turns to look at his brother for a moment. "And Jason?"

"He... had a bad spell. Mike had to take him and Katie to see Rick. Last I heard they were okay though."

"It was my fault."

"No it wasn't." Phil looks at him sternly. "I want to know more, Kyle. I didn't know you could sing like that, and I feel bad if you thought all this time you had to hide that talent. But for now... I just want to call a truce. We'll talk things through and if you don't want anything to change, so be it. If we do change things, then maybe it's time JetStream did something different, I don't know. And we'll talk to Jason too. I'm sure he'll be fine."

Kyle manages half a smile. "Sorry about all this."

"Me too. But... now it's time to move on, alright? I don't like fighting."

"Neither do I."

"You did sound good." Phil smiles. "Logan will be jealous."

Kyle chuckles. "Maybe."

No comments: