6/7/08

Arriving

Wyatt loves listening to Aerith talk. Though the takes a roundabout way back to the topic he had broached, the loves hearing about her…about what maker her tick…about what makes her…her.

As she mentions the next day, a sparkle grows in Wyatt’s eyes. Maybe him taking a chance hadn’t been in vain. Though no one knew the future, right now…in this moment, a bit of joy welled in his heart for a new hope had been born.

Wyatt had liked girls before, though the only one he’d ever pursued had been Katie. No one had ever ‘clicked’ like he and Aerith had with him. There was just something special about her. She was strong enough to stand up for herself and speak her mind, and she was unafraid of what people might think about her faith. Yet she was also delicate and gentle, providing a man with someone to look out for and protect.

Wyatt’s mouth turns up into a soft smile. “I’d love to have you there tomorrow, Aerith. Your presence and your prayers would mean a lot to me.”

Stopping to think though, he cocks his head, pondering what she’d said about giving him a hug. Finishing his sandwich, he moves closer to the basket as if he’s going to retrieve some potato chips, but instead, he bypasses the food, winding up sitting directly in front of Aerith. Gazing on her face, a little tingle runs down his spine. Throwing caution into the wind was not something he was used to doing. But time was running out.

Lifting his hand, he’s slow to move it to her face so not to frighten her, and he runs a finger down her cheek. “What if tomorrow never comes?”


Scott quirks an eyebrow, uneasiness in his eyes at the thought of riding a horse. But he really did want to see Katie’s favorite place. He really did want to be with her today.

Relenting, he nods. “Okay…I’ll ride a horse. But only because I trust your judgment, not an ornery beast.” He accepts riding his own…he was appreciative of Katie’s offer to ride with him, but he did have his pride, no matter how nervous he was.

Jeff can’t help but overhear their conversation from his perch on the porch swing. “Extra boots are in the tack room,” he calls. “Katie, make sure he’s got a pair on instead of them tennis shoes.” He pauses, knowing that Scott is even less than a novice and is more than willing to help out.. “I’ll help you get started if you want.”

Scott eyes Jeff then looks back at Katie. “It’s fine by me. That way you can be free to get your own horse ready without me in the way. Besides, then maybe you’ll miss fifty percent of me making a fool out of myself before we leave.”


A scowl meets Wendy, even though it’s not her that Clint is upset with. “No…I’ve lost my appetite.” He stops, leaning his back against the rail of the pasture fence. Studying Wendy’s face, he sees understanding there…something that wouldn’t be there, had she not known what was going on. “So…you know.”

Clint shakes his head. “I finally thought I could trust my dad…I finally got to the point where I thought things weren’t so bad. Then I get hit with this. I grew up thinking my baby brother had died, and now that I’m twenty-three years old, I find out, hey, he’s still alive and well, and guess what – my parents knew all along. Well, thanks for nothing.”

Clint glares at the ground, crossing his arms angrily. “I shoulda known better than to let my guard down again. This merry-go-round ride is never going to end.”


Becky looks out the windshield from the passenger side of the car as it pulls slowly into the driveway. She sees a few people out and about, and she automatically searches for her husband and son. She was nervous about what had happened this morning. Clint had a temper like his father, and she could only imagine that Tyler did too. Thankfully, Rosalynn had taken the news surprisingly well, and wanted only to meet her “new” brother.

As the car parks near the row of bunk houses, Becky gets out, followed by Rosalynn and an older man, a bit heavy with gray hair. Becky looks to him with gratefulness. “I guess this could be the end, couldn’t it?”

“I guess it could be.” His voice is just a bit raspy, though is compassionate and warm. “But lets hope somebody’s on our side this time. Maybe we’ll pull through it. JT didn’t want me to even come so I wouldn’t get pulled in if things went sour, but I’ve known this case for too long not to see it through.”

Becky smiles at him. “Thanks, Greg. You’ve been more than a friend to us, especially lately.”


Wes’ words catch Jason completely off guard. No man, not even his own grandfather had ever said they were proud of him before. The genuineness in Wes’ voice proved he was not trying just to sound good or appease Jason – but he was being honest.

Jason swallows hard. His emotions took a sudden turn, getting all jumbled and mixed up, not knowing which way was forward, or which emotion should take the lead. He feels an outer layer start to crack and doesn’t understand why.

He eyes Wes’ outstretched hand. It was more than a casual handshake he was offering. It was statement. A statement of acceptance, a statement of honor. A statement that claimed he was Jason’s stepfather, but that he would respect Jason as his own man.

Jason had wanted something oppose in this…he’d felt awkward, and had thought he’d be right about Wes. But he’d been thrown for a loop instead.

He still felt horribly awkward, not knowing how the relationship between himself and Wes should work. But Wes was taking the firs step to work through it. And Jason had to respect that, no matter what he thought.

Finally, Jason reaches out to grasp Wes’ hand. “I’m sorry,” he apologizes quietly. “I guess I don’t know how family works.”

Letting his eyes drop, he gestures to the bike. “Check the sparkplugs.”


Mick and Rosetta ride for a little while, heading down the wooded lane. Mick is quiet, letting the sounds of the countryside envelop him. He’s hardly said a word since they left the ranch yard, and still is hesitant to speak.

No comments: