2/16/08

Hard

Ty finally exits the cell, snatching the bag from Katie with a look of warning. “Fine. But I better get some straight answers once we’re out of here.”

Wyatt rolls his eyes a little, giving Katie a grin. “We better split before our friend here blows a gasket.” He looks back to Ty. “Got anything other than that? A car?”

Ty scoffs. “No.”

“Where do you live?”

Ty grits his teeth. “Nowhere.”

Wyatt lifts an eyebrow, starting to lose his patience. “Look, in about forty-five seconds, that deputy will be in his office, and we’re to walk out of here unseen. We just want to get you back home so you can put this behind you, so you better start being straight with us.”

“And I’m telling you that I don’t have a home.” Ty hisses, staring right back at him. “For someone who supposedly knew what was happening, you certainly don’t know a whole lot, do you?”

Wyatt can’t help some surprise as he senses the truth. “Alright, keep your shirt on. You’re coming with us then.” He sees Katie has a handle on making sure Ty doesn’t skip out on them, and heads to the door. Going into the front room, sure enough, the deputy isn’t in sight. Wyatt tosses the key on the desk and opens the front door for Ty and Katie. He directs Ty into the backseat of the jeep, ensuring Katie resumes riding shotgun, and within seconds, they’re heading out of town. “Katie, call Reese and ask him what he wants us to do.”

Ty leans forward between the seats in protest. “Now hang on. Quit treating me like piece of meat being tossed around. Who’s Reese, and who are you guys? I deserve to know if I’m getting into something worse than I just left.”

“We’re from an underground group of vigilantes whose purpose is to stop these kinds of crimes against innocent people from happening.”

Ty is speechless for only a moment. “Nice try. You’re from Troy’s gang, aren’t you?”

Wyatt sighs and looks at Katie. “I tried. You wanna see if you can do any better?”

Ty puts a hand to his lip that’s started to bleed again, and throws a glance in Katie’s direction. “You two are really something. Fine. Call what’s-his-name. I don’t care.” He flops back in his seat, crossing his arms.



Mick runs a hand along Beauty’s back, ensuring that she’s clean, and he tosses his brushes onto a shelf. He continues to mull over Rosetta’s words, still confused, but satisfied for now. He unties Beauty from the aisle and takes her to her stall, making sure the door is shut securely. He goes back to Rosetta and wraps his arms around her in a hug, sighing deeply. “Well, for now, since you’re in the habit of praying, pray these nightmares stop.”


Clint returns Wendy’s hug. “Yeah…I’m kinda glad that stupid dog ran out in front of me…otherwise I prolly would have dumped my cycle on some deserted road in Timbuktu.” He backs away, sensing her melancholy. “I’m sure it will end too…it has to… and no…I’m a little too attached to this place to take off even if the case no longer exists.” He throws her a quirky grin. “Speaking of attachments, if I don’t put in a couple more hours in the shop, Wes is gonna know it and never let me live it down.”


Jade stops walking and looks at Angel, her emotions starting to tumble out. Her lower lip trembles and she shakes her head. “No…everything’s not okay…. I just… I mean… Jason and I…” A tear escapes down her cheek and she takes a deep breath, trying to regain control. “It’s…it’s fine…I just…” She stops, tossing her gaze back to the ground. “I didn’t think it would bother me this much…can you…I mean…do you have a minute?”

No comments: