12/20/09

Your party

Tears spring into Mick's eyes at Rosetta's words. He hadn't planned on being emotional, but to just have the first thing she says be that she loved him... it sent pangs through his heart that were too much to bear. He'd failed miserably but she still loved him.

"I love you too." His voice cracks and he pauses until he can speak clearly. Bends to rest his elbows on the counter, closing his eyes to concentrate on what he wanted to say.

"I miss you guys something terrible. Every night all I can think about is you and BJ... that's what keeps me going... and what keeps me here until I can handle things again." Be bites his lip. "I've only got a few minutes..." He might have been friends with Adam and Brenda, but he knew that while he was here as a client, he had to abide by the rules. "...but I wanted to call and.... and let you know that I'm okay. I'm... I'm getting better. I want to be able to come home soon and make up for all the stupid things I've said and done and... I don't know... I just want to make things right."

Swallowing hard, he rubs his forehead, trying to stay on track. "Are you doing okay?"


Eli gives a little smile, the atmosphere having suddenly gone melancholic. "Yeah... yeah, I miss him too."

Taking a deep breath, Eli gets up to go dump out the rest of his beer, then comes back to hang over the back of the couch, his hands folded. "Thanks, Ry... I really appreciate what you're doing... someday I'll be able to pay back the favor."

Straightening and roughing up her hair, he turns to the hallway. "I'm gonna hit the sack. Tomorrow I'll make some phone calls and start the job hunt. And... I'll think about staying here or finding space at Leo's."


Stars dot the dark Nevada sky. For some, they are a wondrous display to be watched and admired before cuddling on the couch to fall asleep with a movie droning in the background. For some, the nighttime specks were nightlights, keeping watch over those slumbering past the worries and doubts of their futures. For others still, the stars gave hope that even the darkest night was not so dark after all, and the promise of morning was still there. And morning did come, slow and sure, the closest star of all rose in the east to pain the sky's canvas brilliant colors of pinks and golds, calling those sleeping to wake for the day.


"No, I'm living off unemployment at the moment, but hopefully that'll be over soon."

"Well whats the bandage for if it's not done yet?"

Axel leans back against the toolbench, glancing down at his hand. It was still a bite sore, even after this long after the minor surgery. "Trial run." He grins at Miles' feet sticking out from under the car in the auto shop. "It's complicated. But it was worth a shot."

"Daryl letting you come back afterward?"

"Yeah, he said he was keeping the spot open for me. If I can get the use of my hand back, I'll be back to work. If not... I'll have to figure something else out."

On the other side of the shop, Leo half listens to Axel while leaning into an engine and half paying attention to his conversation with Ryan too. He'd let her know that he was fine with Eli rooming with him if he wanted to, and he was glad that this new friend would be sticking around in the area. He knew that it made Ryan happy too, which made him even more glad.

Something else was on his mind too though and after missing half of what Ryan just said, he withdraws from the engine, wiping his oily hands on his rag. "Hey, Ryan..." Ambling to where she was working on another car, he leans on the frame, glancing in to what she was doing. "I checked the work schedule and there's a day coming up that neither of us are working. I thought maybe that night you and me and Eli could go do something."

He fiddles with his rag, oddly hesitant before reaching in his pocket and pulling out a couple tickets. "I... know this isn't the kind of thing we normally do and I don't know if Eli would actually want to or not but... I thought it might be fun... kinda different. I got a hold of front row seats."

The two tickets, one for Ryan and one fore Eli, were to a music and dance performance at the convention center in the next city over. Advertisements had been around town, proving that it was a fairly big local event. Fliers had described the show as a musical, portraying a story of young love and comedy. The dance routines were showcased as the main attraction, along with upbeat, contemporary music.

Leo was right - this was not something they would normally attend. It was pretty far from street races, action movies or parties. He could imagine Eli bursting out laughing at the idea, but he wanted him along for a reason, and he just hoped that Ryan would accept, even if she really didn't want to go. "What do you think?"


Gunner casually wanders into the children's hospital that was becoming more familiar. Today, he was in sneakers and jeans, a black pull-over hoodie keeping him warm. His baseball cap was turned backward so a few tufts of his hair stuck through the hole and his Elite badge swung from around his neck. He was without his sidearm today, but only a few people would know he had a knife hidden up his back.

Leaning on the counter, he throws a nurse an unmistakably flirtatious look, along with an obvious wink. Completely turned off, the appalled nurse sidles away so someone else could deal with him. Grinning at his success, Gunner looks over the counter before glancing left then right, and finding himself briefly alone. Checking out the phone, he boosts himself up to sit on the counter, his legs swinging. He reaches for the phone, and holds it upside down like a mic, pressing the button for the intercom.

"Miss Conner, your party is waiting. If you're in the mood for a floatless float topped with a cheery and a kiss, please come to the front desk. Miss Conner, your party awaits."

Several surprised shouts come from a back room and Gunner knew that in moments, he would be surrounded by irritated nurses. He didn't move though, still seated on the desk counter watching down the hall for Bree.

No comments: