10/6/09

Neighborly stalker

Reese just nods and shrugs. "Yeah... I don't think he ever intended to hurt anybody... he just pushed the rules too far."

He sighs and turns to leave. "Well, let me know how he is if you see him. Thanks Hope."


A smile forms on Eli's face and he tucks a strand of Ryan's hair behind her ear. "Hey Speedy. Yeah, I'm real... you're not dreaming." It was sad that it had been so long that his presence was so unusual. But phone calls were few, letters even fewer, and it had been four years now since they'd seen each other.

Eli swallows hard. He didn't like seeing his sister like this. He remembered her so strong and full of life, not like this.

"You got some good friends," he explains. "I would have been here sooner if I would have known what was really going on." His hand finds hers. "But you're gonna be okay. I'm here now... I won't let anything happen to you." He knew it was out of his hands, but he wanted his sister to know that despite the quiet years, he was still here for her. In a moment's notice, he despised his own distance. As the older brother, he should have done things differently.

"I'm sorry," he whispers. "Pops told John and me to take care if you... but I guess we haven't done a very good job."

He gives her hand a little squeeze. "'Watch her,' he said... then I moved and John got himself in jail." Seeing how close Ryan was to death made him realize that he wished he would have done things differently. "After Pops was gone I guess things got a little crazy, huh?"

He sighs. "But I'm here now," he repeats. "Hang in there, Speedy. You can beat this."


JT smiles as he sees Bree approach. "Hey you." Seeing a strange glint in her eye, he quirks his eyebrow at her but says nothing. "You're no bother. We're just taking a breather. Gonna be a long day."

He cocks his head. "Rootbeer float eh? That friend wouldn't happen to be our neighborly stalker would it?"

No comments: