9/4/09

Threatened to quit

Gunner weighs his options, not having really expected Bree to suggest he still stay. He'd invaded their evening, no doubt, and had just offended her uncle. She hadn't lost any humor over it though.

He cocks his head, then glances to JT. "You want someone like me hanging around?"

JT sees Bree trying to get Gunner to stay, and he forces himself to relax, letting his own small smile form. "Someone like you? You're just trying to get your job done. I know what it's like trying to meet quotas and having to report to the big guys. I've never been on the police force myself, but... I can imagine solving any case is pretty good in the chief's eyes, even if it is just to earn a few extra points."

JT couldn't have been further from the truth, but Gunner forces a little chuckle anyway. "Got me all figured out, eh? Chief's been breathing down my neck, the judge keeps putting off that warrant and well, you know." Gunner shrugs, letting his act play out. "Your name came up, and I wanted to see you sometime anyway just for old time's sake so..."

"Killing two birds with one stone?"

"Yeah, something like that."

JT nods. "Well that's alright. I'm glad you stopped by. I always like seeing old patients, though I guess you really weren't mine at the time... Did you... ever regain your memory?"

"No... no." Gunner shakes his head. "Guess I wouldn't want to find out I was a butthead the first eighteen years of my life anyway."

JT laughs. "That might be a bit of a downer." He sighs and looks back to his niece, then to Gunner again. "Well, can't say I haven't cut a corner or two myself. I won't be offended you asked for information off the books if you won't be offended I said no."

Gunner grins a little. "Sounds good to me."

"Good. Then you'll stay for supper. I don't want to endure Bree's antics here all by myself anyway."

Gunner chuckles and moves to sit down at the kitchen table. "Hey, Bree..." He looks over to the coffee pot. "I changed my mind. Can you put the fee back in there?"


Reese busies himself with work until a while later when Hope shows up at TJY. Having her sit in his office, he leans back in his chair, obviously having been thinking very hard about something.

"Hope, I have a proposition for you... for two reasons. One, because it might be one of the answers to something I've been wanting, and two, because I have an agent who has threatened to quit if I don't give you a chance."

He taps his leg absentmindedly. "Now I'm aware of your present situation, but let's leave that aside for now. You see... even after you evaluations of several of the men here, we're in constant need of someone like you. We're in the process of finding a place for Gage to live, Phinox to live, and we're also looking for some kind of a program for Alec. However, they still need more help than we can give, and so do others around here. People like them who need to be reintroduced into society... people like Scott who have been through trauma and need to work things through..."

Reese pauses and leans forward with his hands on the desk, clearly excited about the possibilities. "Here's my dream... that we can provide the best help for these people. I... I can't just leave a man behind, no matter what his past is. The people here... they're like my family and I feel responsible for all of them. But we can't offer help, unless we have the people that can do it. We need a counselor, Hope... we need someone like you. We also need a facility where we can send people like Alec and get them into a rehabilitation program. I don't know where that is yet, but we have to work on the first step first. And that first step is you."

He pauses again, making sure Hope is following him. "I know this isn't what you're used to... it's not your own practice. But as I understand it, that's part of the agreement from your court hearing. Here, you would be under the board of the Elite, funded by the state. You would be ranked as an Elite agent, supervised by myself, whom you would report to. We would provide a place for you to see clients, either here or offsite, whatever we decide later. Things would start out slowly but... you would be put on salary so you wouldn't have to worry about exact hours and... well..." He shrugs. "This plan was presented to me several days ago and I can't ignore it. What are your thoughts?"


Mick just keeps right on working, nodding casually at Katie's response. "This place is quite a place to miss... seems like it touches everybody in a different way, and nobody ever forgets it."

He keeps working for a few minutes, quiet until he speaks to her again. "How have things worked out with you and the Elite? I remember when you left here, how much you wanted to go... still enjoying that kind of work?"

No comments: