9/10/09

Fighting

Jason stares after Misty as she leaves, her words bothering him more than he'd want to admit. Why should he call Katie back? He'd called her last. If she wanted to return the call, she would, right? For all he knew, she really didn't want to hear his voice. Maybe she was getting used to this whole thing and was liking being alone, without him.

Growling at himself, he picks up his phone again and dials. He waits, expecting to get her voicemail once again. When he actually hears her voice, he's too surprised and falters for a moment before getting his mind back on track.

"Hey, you." It felt better than he thought it would, to hear her voice. "I was just calling to... well, you know... talk. I guess you probably got my earlier message, and I don't know...." He leans back in his chair, not really knowing what to say, now that he'd gotten her. "I guess I just wanted to know if you were alright."


Sparky leads the way back to one of the bunkhouses, entering without knocking.

Luke is with Jeff, trying to keep him in bed as Jeff fights.

"I'm fine," Jeff mumbles. "Let me up."

"You came back on your horse unconscious," Luke emphasizes. "You're not going anywhere."

"I'm fine, dang it!" Jeff fights, but he's too weak even against Luke. Sweat runs down the sides of his face, providing visual evidence of a fever that had started.

Seeing Angel enter, Luke looks over to her helplessly. "He won't listen to me. We don't even know when he passed out or why."

No comments: