8/16/09

Unless of course

Dani looks up at Dalton with a little smirk on her face. "Oh yes, I'm terrified of you." She rolls her eyes, emphasizing her sarcasm before a little laugh sneaks out.

"Well, as far as next time goes, you apparently have good taste, so I don't care who picks."

Getting back to the cars, she leans against hers for a moment in thought. "If you follow me home and have time to wait ten minutes, you can drive me to work if you want... Unless of course, I've scared you too much."


Bret shakes his head just a little. "Naw... as long as he's okay, that's all I was worried about."

Taking a deep breath, he lets it out slowly, his eyes starting to drift shut again. "I just wanna rest... just... a little..."

He's almost asleep again when a new figure arrives at he door. Maria steps in, giving a glance to Charlotte, then to Bret. "I heard he was awake. How is he?"

Bret opens one eye, tensing up a bit. "He's fine," he mumbles. "What are you doing here?"

"Can't I come to see if you're alright?" Maria steps closer towards the foot of the bed, her arms folded. "Kirk said it wasn't good and I was worried."

"You?" Bret gives a little scoff.

"Yes me. I am capable of feeling, you know. But oh, that's right, you forgot."

"Get out, Maria."

She stops and gives a little shrug. "I'm sorry. I really was worried."

Bret quirks a tired eyebrow at her softer tone. Apparently she meant it. "Well... thanks. I'll be fine."

"Can I get you anything?" She glances to Charlotte, then to Bret again. "Either of you?"


Ryder sits at his desk, staring at the computer screen with little interest. The work Reese had given him was boring him to death. He felt more like a secretary than a field agent.

Spying a blank piece of paper beside the keyboard, he draws a quick smiley face with a pen, then folds the paper down, angling it just right. Without turning around to aim, he tosses the paper airplane over his shoulder to send it into Thirteen's lap a few feet behind him.

He would have followed up with a glance in her direction, but something else catches his eye - someone coming across the main floor, headed for the hall. He quirks an eyebrow in surprise.

Trent is heading for the infirmary, but seeing Ryder, he decides avoidance would only cause more questions. So he approaches, giving a nod. "Ryder..." His eyes drift to Thirteen and linger for a moment. "Jasmine."

Ryder sits back in his chair. "Hi, Trent. Thought you'd be back in Texas by now."

"I would have been, except I got a phone call about Jeff, so I opted to stay and see what happens there." A strange glance to Thirteen seems to connect her somehow to what was happening with Jeff.

"I see. You have a place to stay?"

"Yeah, yeah... I got the hotel down the street from here. Don't know how long I'll be around now I guess. I was just on my way to see Jeff now."

"Ah." Ryder folds his arms during a strange pause. "Look, um, Thirteen and I are on our own for supper tonight. You're more than welcome to join us."

Trent's eyes widen a little, and once again, his gaze finds Thirteen. He studies her a moment before snapping back to Ryder. It seems to take longer than it should for him to decide. "Um... yeah, okay... I think I'd like that."

"Good." Ryder grins. "I hope you like lazagna . Thirteen's been learning how to cook."

Trent finally smiles a little. "Sounds great. I guess I'll catch you later then."


Jason is on his way out of TJY, but stops, turns and heads to Katie's cubicle, making himself just a bit later than planned. "Hey..." He leans over the wall. "Heading out of here early to get ready for tonight. Still want me to pick you up at your place?"

No comments: