7/11/09

So come on

Ryder grits his teeth as he hears Thirteen's response. "You know..." He approaches slowly and squats down in front of her. "There's only one thing that I won't tolerate from you." His voice is firm, proving he meant business.

Taking a gentle hand, he tips Thirteen's chin up. "Look at me." He stares into her eyes with seriousness. "I don't want you ever to think there's no hope. You are far from a lost cause, Thirteen, and I refuse to give up."

Still locking eyes, he recalls her words earlier. "And I don't want you ever, ever to think you are an embarrassment to me, do you understand? Because you're not, and you never will be. It's time you start realizing that." His crooked finger stays under her chin. "Maybe you're scared. Maybe you feel like you can't handle the world just yet. Maybe it's a harder road than we thought. But so what? You are so worth it, Thirteen. You're not some rag to be tossed in the corner. Not anymore. Not here. That kind of life is over. And I am not going to give up on you."

Standing up, he holds out his hand. "So come on. You're gonna show me where you went last night and explain what happened."

No comments: