7/1/09

Emotions

Ryder sighs deeply and shakes his head. "Just... questions about you... where you come from. It'll be okay. Reese... Reese is a good guy." Though he was a little upset with his boss at the moment, he didn't want to scare Thirteen away.

Seeing her retrieve last night's sandwich, he cringes a little. "Thirteen..." Before she can take a bite, he gently slips it from her grasp. "I'll get you a fresh one, okay? And how about something cold to drink, hmm? Maybe some apple juice?" He still wanted to make her as comfortable as possible. It wouldn't be long and Reese would be back, wanting to talk to her.


Carson finally looks up at Misty, his eyes showing just a hint of what he'd done the prior night. He tightens his grip on her fingers. "Yeah... I know. I just..." He shrugs. "Guess I don't like bothering you with my problems, ya know?"

A sheepish smile slips through the cracks. "Or maybe I'm just to stubborn, ay?" He shakes his head and withdraws to sit up a little straighter in the seat, wincing a little though as he does. The booth was too hard to be comfortable.

"What do I do, Misty? What do I do with a half-brother I don't know, who's facing prison? What do I do with a daughter who I probably won't see again anyway? I'm trying to figure it out... I'm trying not to slip up, I just..... can't seem to do it."


Kyle jumps a little at Alice's touch, not having heard her, but he immediately relaxes. Sliding his hand down, he runs it along her arm for a moment, his eyes still far away. "No," he finally answers quietly.

Turning, he leans his back against the tree, taking both of Alice's hands in his. He hated being emotional in front of people, but he couldn't do much to control it this time. "It's Katie Pent... I guess she somehow got taken by some pretty bad people... The Elite got her back, but... she's in the hospital now... in a coma."

Kyle's eyes drop as he swallows hard. If he thought it would do any good, he would go home. But Katie was asleep... and there were a lot of other people around. If she were awake, he knew that she would rather him continue on the road than run home.

His thumb rubs Alice's hand as a new silent tear escapes, his head still lowered. He opens his mouth to say something more, but he knows if he tries, his voice will crack. Instead, he pulls Alice closer for a hug, burying his face in her hair.

No comments: