3/21/09

Can't be easy

Carson doesn't answer Misty right away, but he moves his arm to wrap around her waist, bringing her closer. "I don't know," he admits. "I never thought I'd be doing something like this. I don't know how to feel. She's a cute kid... but I know the truth that I'm not ready to take her on, even if the system would allow it - which they won't."

He shakes his head. "There's no point in letting her get close because then she'll just get more confused about where she belongs."

But even though his words spoke of the logic, his heart reminded him that he was talking about his daughter here. His daughter. How strange and frightening that sounded. He sighs. "This never should have happened. If only I hadn't been such a fool all those years ago."

Turning, he leans his back against the tree and faces Misty, letting his hands rest near her hips. "I'm sorry... seems my past keeps coming back to haunt me. I know it can't always be easy for you, even if I am entirely yours now."

No comments: