3/23/09

But don't...

Though he enjoyed the compliment about his singing, Kyle suddenly grows quiet, thinking for a long moment. The look in his eye did not reveal that he was upset or angry... perhaps just tired of fighting.

Without warning, he lets off the gas, and pulls the jeep off onto the shoulder of the interstate. He knew where they were going and could easily catch up with the bus again. Putting the jeep in park, he just sits quietly for several moments, his eyes roaming the countryside they'd been passing through.

"Alice..." he looks down, running his finger along the steering wheel. "I left my singing behind."

Leaning back in the seat he finally turns his head to look at her. "That's why I'm here... to leave everything behind. I don't want to think about what was. I don't want to dabble in what I used to do. All it brought was trouble in the end."

He hadn't wanted to have this conversation, and it didn't feel good. But Alice was his friend, and a close one at that. He felt he at least owed it to her to tell her what was on his mind, rather than leaving her in the dark.

"I haven't felt good for quite a while. That's why I got the prescription that I did. You and my brother are the only ones who know, and that's fine by me. I don't have a place anymore, and I just got tired of pretending I was happy all the time. Getting the invitation to come on this trip was the out I was waiting for, to leave behind the mess I'd created."

His eyes beg Alice to understand. "I just want to feel good about myself again and find where I belong. If it's a prescription that gets me there, so be it. If it's Break Out, so be it. I just..."

Kyle stops and sighs. "I just want to find me again. Somewhere along the way I got lost, and I know it. But don't make me go back to what I was."

No comments: