1/25/09

there

As Misty’s words hit Kyle’s ears, all he can do is stare back at her. The fire in his eyes slowly simmered until he lets go of her arms.

Backing up a step, he turns his back on her, setting his hands on his hips. He raises his face to look up at the night sky, a few stars visible above the city lights.

A scoffing laugh finally surfaces. “Dang it, Misty. Was I that stupid?”

He shakes his head and turns back around, defeat written on his face. “The first time I dared to love anybody, and I jumped the gun on walking away. And now what do I have? Someone who still cares for me too, but we can’t do a thing about it because her heart belongs in two different places. How can I make you choose?”

His head shakes again. “I’m sorry I’ve been a fool. Go where your heart leads you. I’ll find my way.”


Bret slips quietly into the house, shutting the front door softly behind him. It was late... later than he'd planned on getting home. Things at the track had turned into a reunion, and getting away from his old friends had been hard. He hadn't called Charlotte though, afraid she was still mad at him for that morning's little episode.

Seeing a light on in the kitchen, he heads in that direction, not bothering to stop and take his jacket off. One hand held that which he'd stopped to get on the way home, the other held a quarter.

Stopping for a moment, he just watches Charlotte move at the counter, feeling even sorrier for losing his temper earlier. Finally he moves forward again, coming up behind her. Reaching around her from behind, he presents the flowers, his other arm wrapping around her waist. Resting his his head against hers, he whispers in her ear.

"I love you... and I'm sorry about earlier."

Leaning forward to kiss her cheek, he moves just a little to the side, flipping the quarter and catching it on the counter. Revealing it under his palm, he cranes his neck around to see his wife's eyes. "Tails. That means I get to take you out to supper... if you forgive me."

No comments: