1/15/09

More than

Alone with Angelica once more, Reese starts to relax again. Mingling with her wasn't so bad, and getting to meet the people she often mentioned was nice. He couldn't help but be glad they didn't cross paths with David again too quickly. He seemed nice, but... there was something about him that Reese wasn't so sure about. Maybe he just didn't want to admit what it was.

Brought back to attention by Angelica's suggestion, he shrugs. "Sure. Fresh air sounds nice right about now."

Led to the edge of the room, then out onto the balcony, he takes a deep breath of the warm night air. The sounds of the city were all around them, drifting up to the third story.

Reese wanders to the railing to lean on it, looking out at all the lights. "Reminds me how much I hate cities," he muses. "Never had the guts to move out of town though... seemed like too much work."

He's quite for several moments until eventually straightening and turning to face Angelica. The moonlight cradled her face with a soft glow and glistened off her necklace. A light chuckle surfaces and Reese shakes his head. "I must have been crazy to turn down your offer to come."

Hesitantly, he reaches out with his hand, offering to take her own. "May I?" Given permission, he takes Angelica's fingers softly in his. "I know I apologized earlier, but... I guess I want to again. I'm sorry if I disappointed you. I, um... well..." He can feel his face grow warm and is glad for the partial darkness. "It's kinda hard for a guy like me, ya know?"

His eyes lower to her hand, then raise again to see hers. "Not easy to move past a life, even if it's a life long gone and never to reappear." He didn't know whether she'd understand he was referring to his own married past, but didn't think he need specify.

"At any rate, I talked to your sister and she told me about your brother's birthday and all, and... I guess I realized that whatever I was going through wasn't worth not being there for a friend." His grip tightens a little on Angelica's fingers. "A good friend... more than a friend... if she wanted to be."

No comments: