10/10/08

No way out

Reese looks up quickly as the strange message disappears from his computer. Attempting to enter his files, it works this time, and he grins. "Hey, Dalton. Good job."


Jason's jaw is tight as he stares at the paper, then looks back up to Katie. "I don't know... I want to believe this is true, but I'm too afraid that it's just some sick joke the Agency is playing on us." He sets the paper down and goes for his phone. "Reese."

"Yeah."

"Come to my office."

"Now? I just..."

"Yes, now. Please. Katie and I need to see you."

"Alright, alright. I'm coming."

Jason hangs up and sighs. He can feel his emotions starting to churn and does his best to keep a lid on them. Pacing the floor, he's quiet until Reese comes.

"Jase, what is it?"

Jason motions for him to shut the door.

Reese obeys, and comes closer, setting a hand on Trooper's head absentmindedly. "What's wrong?"

"That strange message....I deciphered it." Jason points to the paper on his desk. "I've only shown Katie."

Reese's eyes widen and he picks up the paper. "Ireland's neighbor... Scott?"

Jason nods. "What do you think?"

"I...I don't know." Reese blinks and tries to collect his thoughts. "We...I mean..." He glances at Katie, not wanting this to be too painful, but he has to talk it through. "We saw that house blow up and....there was nothing left."

Jason sets his hands on his hips. "I know. But what if..."

"I don't even want anyone to hope this is true," Reese cuts him off. His tone is slightly stern. "This is the way the Agency plays. Don't forget that. Scott died. We all saw it. Medridge is trying to get to us and we can't let him." He cocks his head to catch Jason's eyes. "You got that? Hotshot?"

"Yeah, yeah." Jason rubs the back of his neck wearily. "So now what?"

"We let it sit." Reese sets the paper back down. "I'll have Dalton put up some new securities to ensure the Agency can't get in. And then we pray they didn't get much."

"Alright." Jason watches Reese leave, then stares at the shut door for several quiet moments. His emotions continued to boil and he lets them seep out. Distrust... disbelief... loyalty... anger... remorse... Adrenaline stirred them all together, bringing them to the surface.

He shifts his gaze to Katie. "I can't just let this go."
I know this is irrational. "I don't think Reese is right."
I know I can't believe it, and I know this could be a major disappointment. "I can't sit and do nothing..."

Jason stops, searching Katie's eyes. I don't want you to be disappointed either. You've been hurt enough. But he knew what she would say. "We can't say anything to Reese. Come on." Grabbing the paper, he heads for the door, making sure Katie comes with him.

Heading down the hall, he goes to Dalton's office and enter without knocking, letting Katie in, then shutting the door again. "Sorry to barge in on you, Hulk, but we got a mystery to solve." Jason approaches the desk, taking an authoritative stance. "Reese has probably already told you to reset security... but I got a side job for you. If you're any good, I want you to try and track the activity that went on this morning. Get a trace on something...anything. I don't care if it's the operating system they used, their internet carrier or simply how long they were in. I'm looking for a location at the very most."

Jason pauses and shows Dalton the paper. "There's a slim chance our friend is still alive. But there's a catch. You can't tell Reese any of this. He thinks it's a hoax, and he might be.... he's probably right. But I don't want to miss a chance, even if it's a slim one."

Hero, I hope we can trust this guy.


"Delivery!" Carson raps a knuckle on Jess' door, a box from Mom and Pop's in hand. It was unmarked, but inside was pizza. The restaurant didn't have delivery, but Carson was on an extended break, and he knew Jess didn't have to work 'til second shift today. It had been a nippy walk, and he hadn't called first, but he figured it would be a nice surprise. It was a whole lot better than staying alone doing nothing for several hours.


The pain that ran down Scott's arms, neck and back was beginning to numb. His hands were strung up above his head, stretching him out so he couldn't move. The cement room was dark and damp. His head hung down, consciousness something that he was beginning to hate. He hadn't told them. They didn't know. He hadn't helped them. But they wouldn't stop. He'd given them bogus information that had messed with their own system. The result was this position now. There was no end. There was no way out.

No comments: