10/30/08

Mercy

Kyle is quiet for several moments, going through Misty's words one at a time in his mind. Sighing deeply, he lowers his arms, slowly reaching across the table to take her hand in his. He looks down, running a thumb over her fingers thoughtfully before looking up at her face.

A slight smile is forced through. "You realize that, um... a guy can't just forget it when a girl tells him something like that." He makes himself hold a wary grin. "I'm glad you didn't hide anything, but... there's obviously something there and... I..."

Kyle stops, not even sure what to say. Misty obviously didn't want to hurt his feelings, or cause a rift or anything, but what she'd said... he couldn't simply ignore it.

"...I don't know... what to do." His admitting it aloud sounded almost silly, but it was true.

He withdraws his hand and leans back in his chair, his appetite having dwindled. "What do you want to do? I mean... if it's really nothing, then fine, but... I can tell it's not just nothing, so..." He tries to keep emotions out of his voice, speaking out of pure logic and question. "Do you want to change something or... take time out, or.... I mean.... I... I'm cool with whatever... whatever you want to do. As long as you're happy, ya know?"

He throws Misty a wink. "You're what counts, babe. Us guys... we're at your mercy."

No comments: